Help please with odd MIDI question?

zappastix

:-? Hi

Is there anyone who could possibly help with an odd MIDI question?

Around 1999/2000 I brought a Yamaha Keyboard with MIDI IN/OUT

It has 76 weighted, touch sensitive keys with sustain.

On Windows 98 I brought a Yamaha sound card, with DAW/studio included.

I managed to get everything working, used it for an hour, and have never

touched it since, as others things cropped up.

The keyboard is Yamaha PSR GX76 (immaculate) and because it’s got

everything I want ‘touch wise’ I’m reluctant to buy another.

I have been looking at Youtube, and I’m thinking of getting Kontakt 5

and FL Studio 11.

I have a powerful Windows 7 64 Bit notebook.

I am not new to recording, but this was a long time ago - just new to MIDI.

Last time I came across MIDI was when our keyboard player changed

from a C3 Hammond to the first Yamaha DX7 (UK around 1982).

I understand how MIDI works but I don’t know if it will do what I want.

WHAT I WANT TO ACHIEVE

I want to be able to play the Yamaha and record on FL Studio via Kontakt 5 libraries.

This will not be for live work, and I do not need to control any other equipment via MIDI.

MY QUESTIONS

I found this on Amazon;

Proxima Direct® USB to Midi Cable Keyboard to PC Laptop Adapter

For Win 7, XP Vista Mac Plug and Play

Will this USB to Midi Cable do what I want?

i.e. Connect the Yamaha to Notebook that will allow me to select MIDI options

in Kontakt so that if I say play a chord on the Yamaha – that chord will be reproduced

in FL Studio?

I’m sort of guessing here – this seems what you do. Have I missed anything?

Am I right in saying that the ‘touch sensitive keys’ will be included in the MIDI signal

and will be transferred to FL Studio.

Or am I expecting too much?

BELOW I’VE INCLUDED what the Proxima Direct actually does

(although you probably know already).

Another reason for trying to find out if this will work, is that I do not want to buy the software

before I get the thumbs up that my Yamaha should work. If not I’ll have to rethink.

Just one other quick question – will I need an Audio Interface?

Any help or guidance will be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Stephen

Easy to install with built-in driver; USB powered, no AC adapter needed, Plug and Play

1 in + 1 out MIDI interface; 16 MIDI input channels & 16 MIDI output channels LED power

indicator; MIDI in & out signal indicator - Easy to turn your PC into a music studio,

start by connecting a music keyboard to your computer with the supplied USB MIDI Cable

Supports: Windows 7/XP/Vista/ME/2000/98SE, Mac OS 9X etc

Hi.

Thanks to ASIO4All low latency drivers, you don't strictly need an audio interface. However, it's worth thinking about because many interfaces come with midi in, while also offering better inputs and amping for audio recording.

If you can see yourself recording audio sometime, it's a kill two birds solution. Good cheap interfaces are easy to come by these days.

Just as an example, google m-audio venom. Keyboard, controller, synth, audio interface, MIDI, USB. 200 bucks blowout sale.

The adapter cable alone should work fine of course.

Nase makes a good point about buying an interface. If you purely want to do midi, however, then that cable should be fine.

Few points to note:

- I own the cable (well, a rebrand of it) and was very confused when I initially couldn't get it to work. It turns out that 'in' and 'out' are labelled in the opposite way that you would think. ('out' on your keyboard connects to 'in' on the cable)

- Even with ASIO4all, you will almost certainly get better latency with an interface than the cable. The difference will probably be fairly negligible though in terms of how easily you will notice it.

- There isn't much difference in price between Kontakt and Komplete (which includes it). Take a look at the other stuff bundled with it to judge if it is worth the extra for you.

- Looking at it from the opposite perspective, is there a specific reason why you want Kontakt? Depending on the version, FL will come with free sounds and there are plenty of free instruments on the internet that are available. Depending on your budget, it might be worth just using the free ones to see if they meet your needs.

- A cheaper alternative to FL Studio is Reaper. It does come with an awful lot less bundled stuff though (depending on what version of FL studio you compare to).

To directly answer some of your questions:

- "that chord will be reproduced in FL Studio": yes

- "Am I right in saying that the ‘touch sensitive keys’ will be included in the MIDI signal and will be transferred to FL Studio": yes

- "Connect the Yamaha to Notebook that will allow me to select MIDI options in Kontakt so that if I say play a chord on the Yamaha – that chord will be reproduced in FL Studio?": This isn't hugely important but you set the midi options in FL studio and FL studio routes the data to Kontakt which then creates the sound. Kontakt is created as in instance within FL studio. (Just didn't want you confused when you try it out)

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Jonathan!
Clarification on FL Studio

• 2 weeks later...

:)

Jonathan! and Nase - thank you for your very helpful info.

Must aplogise for not replying earlier, but my wife had to go in for a major operation.

I will get on to this project as soon as time allows.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Stephen