*NO* Wizards & Warriors 2 'Battle at the Beach'

djpretzel

email sub file W_w_Battle_at_the_Beach.mp3

Name: Beat_Dr.B

Remix: Battle at the beach (Wizards & Warriors II: Ironsword) http://www.deviantart.com/view/29200113/

Click "Download to Desktop" To start downloading file.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low rates.

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/wizwar2.zip - Track 6

Pretty empty track to start off. Lead synth is really defaulty. So are most of the other sounds too. There also aren't really any effects used here to personalize the sounds or fill out the soundfield beyond that overused "BOOM" sound first used at :50. Texture is pretty plain as a result.

Feel finally changed up at 1:35 with the introduction of some new sounds, but the texture is still relatively sparse. Sound balance could be improved too, especially after 2:04 as most of the synths just mush together indiscriminantly once you added some new stuff into the picture and started filling out the soundfield more.

The track does develop over time, but the samples are weak and there's no finesse on the production side to make up for it. You've given it some good effort to personalize your arrangement approach though. You've gotta go for less defaulty, richer sounds and learn how to balance them properly to give your arrangement ideas the best treatment.

NO

Buzzy synths (though at least they sound thick) in the intro are annoying. The texture of the mix quickly wears out its welcome though. I do like the synth lead playing near the end though, the one with the plucky tone.

Balance is off. The deep sounding hand percussion is too much for example. It's constantly hitting far away from center and taking up too much space. I know you're going for a left/right hand type sound, but the way it comes off here it's like the sound is bouncing back and forth in an annoying way.

A lot of the instruments sound too centered other than the buzzy synths and the orchestral hits. I think you could pan the triangle a bit further out of center.

The mix is indeed sparse. You have the percussion and synth taking up most of the space. This could do with more harmonic support, some pad, something to thicken up the atmosphere.

I do like the vibe of this one though, apart from the synth choices. The percussive work is generally good. I liked this one more than liontamer did, the concept is really good, and it's a good framework. But the execution and polish is definitely sorely lacking. I hope to hear more from you in the future though, with more attention paid to the details.

NO

Whoa, loud. Everything is loud in context here. The Synths are awfully dry. The beats are bland and basic, but at least they're powerful. Things get a little crunchy around 0:30, then we get a deliberate rhythm synth coming in and dotting it's way along with the buzz synth.

This is just mixed too poorly to consider. It's so dry and basic that it's almost painful to listen to. You need to move beyond the boring and bland, loud and dry sounds. If the synth sounds bad when it's quiet, then it's still going to sound bad when it's 10 times louder.

I do like the little fluttery effects you have dotted through the mix though, creative.

NO