*NO* T&C Surf Designs 'Water and Wood Hurts'

djpretzel

Hey folks, sorry if you're getting this twice, I didn't get a confirmation email the first time.

I've been a listener to OCR for a few years now and decided to finally give remixing a try using Reason. For my first ever submission, I offer an early and obscure NES title, "T&C Surf Designs," one of the first skateboarding and surfing games out there. Perhaps you remember this game, launched in conjunction with the popular tee shirts and skate apparel from the 80s.

Players could be "Thrilla Gorilla" or "Joe Cool," hitting the waves and the asphalt while being attacked by birds and bouncing beach balls. Just like the game, this mix has two sections, and also like the game, the song has its obligitory bails and wipeouts. I added a few game sound effects and other surprises to top things off. Hope you like it!

My remix can be downloaded at:

The original NES .NSF tune file can be listened to here:

Thanks for your consideration!

-Josh

Contact Info:

ReMixer name: J-Witz

UserID: 34914

ReMix Info:

Name of game: Town & Country Surf Designs: Wood & Water Rage

Additional Info: NES title by LJN Toys LTD, unknown music composer.

Mobygames listing:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/nes/town-country-surf-designs-wood-water-rage

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/tcsd.zip - Track 1

Wow, I actually played this game back in the day. :lol:

Opening is a souped up version of the NSF, seguing into some terribly produced cover style arrangement; sounds terribly loud and distorted. The drumkit tone is dry as hell, and everything is just blistering and sizzling with this awful production.

Arrangement needs to be more interpretive and needs to be more developed. 2:11 really doesn't cut it here with a mere cover tune like this.

Christ, the production though...

NO

the track is cool, the guitar playing is very slick, but larry's right, the production is very rough. lots of unintended crunch. all over the place. in addition to that,the arrangement is very straightforward and repetitive, and at 2:11, that means there arent lots of ideas.

NO

The source reminds me a lot of e1m1 from Doom. Liking it.

WIPEOUT!! Not being followed by the Wipeout riff disappointed me sorely.

Production is a bad point. Everything seems awfully crisp, the EQ is punched up way too high in the top end. The arrangement ideas are kinda crazy, and I could see them working if perhaps pulled off a little more thoroughly, it seems too dysfunctional right now. Maybe stretch the mix out by adding some more cohesive sections between the really crazy sections so people have something to latch onto when listening. That'd help pad the mix out beyond the very short 2:11 as well.

NO