*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 'Isn't Life Special'

djpretzel

I've just recently gotten a new synthisizer keyboard. I am just getting the hang of it. Right off the bat though you may notice an improvement in sample quality from my previous mixes. Granted this may not be the most complicated arrangement but it is soothing and I think it has alot of variation. It is an mixture of the special stage song and green hill zone from Sonic 1. Not sure if this is up to par with the standards of OCR but I do hope that at the very least you find it to be an enjoyable listen. I hope useing soundclick to host my mixes is alright. It's realy too bad about VG mix...well...anyway enjoy :).

Jredd-

Life is wonderful, thanks to oxycodone. Unfortunately this mix has not yet reached it's maximum wonderful level. There is wonder left to be fullfilled. the delay on the piano is wierd...the bass part that comes in after a minute is pretty slick, but the arrangement is underdeveloped. what's here is somewhat wierd...in fact it makes me dizzy. idunno. What would maximize the wonderful in this mix? i think maybe coming up with some sort of...gameplan...making it more of an arrangement than a bunch of shit playing all over the place.

yeah.

NO

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=36 - "Special Stage" & "Green Hill Zone"

2:28-long, eh? With a :58-long introduction? Better be packed for such a short arrangement. Yeah, beyond the intro the woodwind lead is ALL OVER DA PLACE. Give it some focus, sir. Piano sounds ok, but the tone sounds a bit thin.

Very cool idea for the instrumentation of Green Hill Zone at 1:11; the bassline writing was also pretty cool, but the sample sounded too thin, plus the beats didn't even sound like they fit here. The lead on the Special Stage arrangement was merely noodling around with no direction at 1:50 up until the end.

Too bad you don't have a cohesive texture or direction here or this could be pretty tight. Track is short, but could be ok IMO is the texture was fuller and the arrangement was more structured/organized. Keep working on this one, Jredd; you at least show some improvement versus your previous submissions.

NO

Bassline was a bit droney when it came in. I've established that usually when a bassline sounds droney, it's because of my speakers, so I'll overlook that.

Unfortunately, this mix lacks direction, it's all random stuff played all over the place. There's no beat (not saying there has to be) but it would help give the piece a bit of context. Since it just sounds like some guy with a new keyboard, trying out a bunch of new things.

The track ended before it had really built up to anything. A mix like this deserves a groovy beat to coincide with the groovy synths and woodwind playing.

NO