*NO* Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 'NiNJaZZ'

djpretzel

Rewind to May 2005. I went to zyko with an arrangment idea for an 11 minute long 1970's style jazz fusion remix of Lets Go Turtles!, from Teenage Mutant

Ninja Turtle 3. I sent over a two part sax section and zyko sent me back a

finished product about a day before the DoD May deadline. We tied with Ailsean for 10th.

Fast Forward to December. Zyko sends me a polished up version of the song,

but tells me that he has lost the source files. Thats the last I hear from him.

So what I have here is a year old collab I did with zyko thats been cut almost in half to get under the 6 meg limit. I have no source files and cant get in contact with zyko, so I cant change anything even if I wanted.

Its been sitting on my computer for months, so I figured I might as well give it a try on the OCR judges panel.

I think there is some clipping in the opening. It wasnt in the sax part I sent, so zyko must have turned something up to high. Since the clipping is in the rendered file he sent me, I have no idea how I can get rid of it.

Game: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3

Remixers: Koelsch1, zyko

Name: NiNJaZZ

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/tmnt3.zip - Track 1 ("Let's Go Turtles")

Yeah, I remember deciding not to play this of VGF back in the day. Drums are boring, robotic, and placeholder-ish, plus their tone doesn't fit the piece. I'm sure weed just had them in for a quick placeholder, but these shizzles clearly don't get the job done in any way. Lost the source files, eh? Well, we can't look forward to inserting some substantive drum writing in the future.

Beyond that, there's not much beyond the guitar work buried in the back while this sluggish doubled sax work crowds everything else out upfront. On that level, I'm just not feeling the mixing at all.

Guitar noodling at 4:15 is pushed up to the front to harmonize with the sax, but they just mush together, plus it drops out just as quick at 4:37. What's the point of that? OK, now it's back at 4:54. These things need better separation so they feel like they're working in tandem. They're absolutely no synergy here at all from you two guys collabbing.

Good freestyle stuff from weed's guitar from 5:15 until the finish. Very stylish. Too bad it was over these bleh drums. But yeah, since this is a done deal, I'm not really gonna give any tips. It's just rather a waste of time subbing a very WIP-level mix where the sounds are imbalanced and the drums aren't even done.

NO

aiee the intonation on the saxes is rough...still a trouble spot. I enjoyed the composition...I think it would work really well if the saxes were in tune with each other. oh well.

some great riffs from zyko.

this sounds like it's half a song. doesnt work without the rest of it.

NO

oh man, i love this soundtrack.

it's one of the few games from my youth where i would stop playing just to sit down and listen to the music.

so yeah, props for bringing back some great memories.

for 85% of the track, that drums don't feel integrated into the mix at all. it's like they're a metronome.

The track comes off sounding real sparse and empty. The lack of any organs, pads, or keyboards is really noticeable. There's not a whole lot of harmonic support of the melody going on.

I really like the bass work that weed lays down. Probably the best I've heard from him. And I also thought that covering the melody with saxes was a great, creative idea.

Anyway, overall a great concept, but in the end it feels sloppy and rushed.

NO