Mega Man X - Boomer Kuwanger (ELECTRONIC VIDEO COVER)

Hello everyone!

This is my first real post on the forums. I submitted my first song about a month ago, and well...it seems things are kind of backed up! So, I figured I would share my latest video I made right here!

A quick bit about me: My name is Ace. I love to make music. I have written lots of original stuff late last year I decided to start posting regular youtube videos. I do electronic originals, cover songs of all kinds, and my personal favorite, my VGMS. This is the latest VGM. I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for watching and if you like how I role, a click to that subscribe button would be awful swell.

The submissions process takes more than a month =P (more like 6 months, actually, but I personally don't mind; I just submit and let the judges do it whenever)

The production sounds reserved, to me. By that I mean that things blend together a little too much, and the more important elements of the piece don't come out enough (kick, snare, lead, bass). As a result, the dynamics sound too consistent throughout, and to me the structure isn't quite as clear.

By the way, as good as this is, this is too much of a cover without enough personalization IMO. Actually, this sounds essentially like a MIDI rip, and so it's too conservative. But hey, now you know. :) At least you have some nice live playing skills.

Edited by timaeus222

Thanks for watching.

As far as the mixing is concerned, I would have loved to have another three hours to tinker with this one and bring the parts out more, but I was already late to posting it, and had worked on the mix for a while and was happy enough with it (I dont know if I will every be truly happy with a mix, you know? :P). I also only let myself tinker so long on my youtube video mixes, because I could spend a week getting caught up in a mix, and that would not prove helpful to a release schedule. I will definitely consider that when I go back and work it some more for album release.

As far as the arrangement is concerned, I really do things different from song to song. Some, I really like to keep kind of close to the books and have fun with the instruments playing the parts themselves. Some, I take really bold steps and make huge changes. I never really thought of the idea of it sounding like a midi-rip, because I don't use midi for any of my parts. All the sequences were manually programmed into the Microbrute. For me, getting it just right is more rewarding because I have to use my ears to get each part just right. But to each his own, I suppose. My next vgm will be far more adventurous, I assure you!

As far as the arrangement is concerned, I really do things different from song to song. Some, I really like to keep kind of close to the books and have fun with the instruments playing the parts themselves. Some, I take really bold steps and make huge changes. I never really thought of the idea of it sounding like a midi-rip, because I don't use midi for any of my parts. All the sequences were manually programmed into the Microbrute. For me, getting it just right is more rewarding because I have to use my ears to get each part just right. But to each his own, I suppose. My next vgm will be far more adventurous, I assure you!

Yeah, I personally don't have an issue with doing songs note for note, but the OCR submission standards ask that you do more than a 100% note-for-note cover, so that it's both original enough (but not too original or it's just an original song) and personalized enough. By MIDI-rip (well, I said "essentially like", but...), I mean many if not all of the notes match exactly.

For example, this was said to be conservative, but it was personalized just enough. This was personalized a lot, but not too much. This I think is right in the middle or so.

If you don't want to change the note pitches, that's fine; you could alternatively change the harmonies, note rhythms, neighboring tones (extra notes in between the original notes), the mood (major/minor), or even the tempo (case-by-case).

Edited by timaeus222