How do you feel towards your own music?

I make music that I like. What's the point of making it, otherwise? :-D

Yes i totally agree with you. I do like my music for a short time but i seem to grow tired of it faster than any other music i listen to.

Maybe i should make a playlist of all of my songs and listen to them and feel happy/proud of what i have accomplished so far and how i have gotten better with time. Maybe i should not compare my work too much with top notch productions as to not get discouraged. I should rather say " I made a song and i can see that i am not there yet. This is what i am aiming for, this is where i am going, a little bit at a time". Maybe i should walk instead of run. Maybe i should look at the journey and not the destination. Maybe i should stop thinking about all that and just do some music.

I think it's time to change the word "should" for "will".

P.S. I apologize if my open thinking was boring.

I like the stuff I make, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it. Is it perfect? No. Do I have lots of fun while doing it? You betcha! Even some of the way old stuff I made has something in it that I like, even after years.

It's a great hobby for me, I keep on learning more and more and in general it serves as a great outlet of creative energy. Since it's a hobby to me and not a job, I don't feel bad or pressured or anything about it; I do it for fun only, and I guess that also affects how I feel about my music...

@ Bejack:

You mentioned that maybe the journey is more important than the destination, and I think that's why I still enjoy so much of my own music from even so many years ago. See, I can still listen to it, warts and all, and know that I learned something from it. There's something in that song that made it better than the last one, either because I tried something new, or because I polished an already-in-use technique.

Occasionally I have a pleasant surprise, too, and hear a song that I go "wow, I made that? Really?"

@ Bejack:

You mentioned that maybe the journey is more important than the destination, and I think that's why I still enjoy so much of my own music from even so many years ago. See, I can still listen to it, warts and all, and know that I learned something from it. There's something in that song that made it better than the last one, either because I tried something new, or because I polished an already-in-use technique.

Occasionally I have a pleasant surprise, too, and hear a song that I go "wow, I made that? Really?"

Lol, warts and all. I'd like to hear some of your older works some day Flexy - I bet they aren't that bad.

But yeah, I can also listen to my own stuff too (and often do) - I definitely have different feelings regarding different tracks.

Regarding several previous posts...

I don't think that listening to your own music is an ego complex thing-a-majig - because many of us make music that we want to hear - therefore we make stuff not only for other people but for ourselves too - I know I do. I might on occasion take other people's comments a little too much at heart and it can ruin the song for me...but I guess I am just an overly sensitive guy :tomatoface:

I generally try to show my work to anyone and everyone that's willing to listen. I probably don't go out of my way for feedback as much as I should, but I tend to with work I feel my best about. I believe the fastest way to improvement is through copying the greats and receiving feedback from many different kinds of sources so I try to be as open with my music as possible.