*NO* Final Fantasy Adventure 'The Spirit of Adventure'

djpretzel

- Contact Info -

Remixer name: Kil

Email: Kilgamesh@gmail.com

userid: 36225

- ReMix Info -

Game Remixed: Final Fantasy Adventure (GameBoy 1991)

Songs Remixed: Last Boss, Second Overworld Theme, Boss 2

Comments: Final Fantasy Adventure was the first game that had music capable of stopping me cold. Kenji Ito continued to amaze with his later soundtracks, but FFA will always be special. While watching a speedrun of the game, I came upon the second overworld theme during a walk in the desert. Now, I've had several FFA tracks on my playlist up to this point, but this particular one somehow fell through the cracks. The second overworld theme is amazing. Finding it this way is like finding buried treasure that you forgot long ago, just as the game itself is a treasure buried somewhere in a forgotten shoebox. It occurred to me that Kenji Ito has had a fundamental impact on me as a musician and deserves my full tribute.

and what an adventurous remix it is! I can practically see he fairies and the mages and the..orcs and whatnot prancing around looking for a good time!

The arrangement is solid if concise. The biggest problem is that the sequencing is too mechanical, the pace too constant. I'm pretty sure there are more hands than two playing this piano (not that this is a problem in and of itself). The dynamics certainly arent flat, but the dynamic changes tend to be broader, section by section, rather than note by note. With a piece this demanding I would really expect to hear a few retards in there. The only retards involved here are the ones voting on the mix.

NO

gotta do something about the piano sequencing.

http://www.zophar.net/gbs/ffa.zip - Tracks 18 & 21

Dunno what the third theme here is, but it doesn't really matter. I mean, this is a decent piano & woodwind-based cover, even if it doesn't sound realistically sequenced in the slightest. But while the energy's decent, there's not enough interpretation here IMO.

Switches to the second theme at 1:14 with no real transition, and the performance just sounds thin. Same at 2:12, no transition again, and this was going for the close which just sounds awkward and devoid of purpose. So yes, this arrangement needs a lot more creativity that what you gave it. 2:31-long of almost anything isn't gonna cut it here, especially when the interpretation factor is low like this. Beyond that, tighten up the sequencing and flesh out the sounds.

NO

this is pretty good stuff, reminiscent of MC at times.

yeah the humanization is nowhere to be found in this mix, which is a shame.

getting the MIDI data tweaked to the point where it doesn't sound mechanical is a really big headache. if you want this mix on OCR, you're going to have to tough it out, and really dig into this one. mess with those velocities and change that tempo up.

that being said, I really enjoyed this one, and hope to see a resubmit.

NO