Brynn the Breaker - Drum and Bass (sorta) remix

Dino Kid

Hello again,

I know I might be a bit greedy posting two threads so frequently but this is one I definitely could use some help on this one, I was a bit sceptical the idea would work but for the most part i think its gone pretty well.

However I'm not sure the intro is completely there and a t times the guitar sounds a bit off although I only noticed once i started mixing.

Its at minus 6 so you might want to turn it up

Thanks for the feedback, agree with it! Sadly my hard drive died last night and that had the project folder, i think I've got a backup, will take me some time to get back to it though

Thanks for listening

Edited by Dino Kid

Alright, here's some things I heard.

1) I think the overall arrangement is solid and works well, I wouldn't mess with this.

2) In the first 10 seconds, It sounds like you're using one sample and trying to get it to do two different things. If you want that opening to sound as if it's being played by one instrument, then I'd either choose a different instrument (like piano, or some mallet instrument, or maybe a harp...) or get a better sample. If you're going for two instruments, then I'd replace what you're using for the accompaniment sound with something different.

3) Overall, the drums sound good, I'd leave those alone for now. I like that they're not too heavy, they fit in well with the general feel. The bass that kicks in at 1:05 and 2:57 is also good =] (Though maybe a little overpowering, but I think that's more an issue with the other instruments being a bit underwhelming)

4) The "electric guitar" that starts at 1:35 (and 3:32), I'd scrap it. It sounds really not so great compared to what's going on around it. You could maybe try replacing it with some brass instead, I think even fake electro brass or lo-fi brass would work well (or at least better than that current sound =[). Play around with it.

5) In general, your melodic lines sound pretty stiff. A little inflection/humanization would go a long way to make those parts sound more interesting. They could also stand to be brought out more, I was sometimes struggling to hear the melodic bits amidst everything else. They weren't completely lost, they could just stand to be more prominent.

6) The last thing I'll say is that the build up around 2:44 needs to be bigger. What you have can work, it just needs to get louder for the silence to be even more effective. I'd compare the builds peak volume level with the volume level right after the silence (they should be about the same, or at least closer than they are). I'd also either a) cut off the lingering delay effects and make sure everything cuts off uniformly there, or B) let the silence linger just a bit longer if you want to go for a fake ending kind of thing.

There's my 2 err... 6 cents. Hope that helps! I think what you've got could be really awesome (and is already pretty awesome), and I can hear where you're trying to go with it. Just give some TLC to the non-synth/non-percussion instruments =]

Your flute player never breathes and it's kinda bugging me. At the end if it's phrases you could have a little pause. Also, the ending is super anticlimactic. At least hold the last note out!

The percussion is nice, and I like the little touches like that scratching effect. The guitar sounded fine, if it's off, I never noticed it.

Edited by Slimy

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the advice guys, thought it was pretty spot on. I've had a go at tackling you're issues as well as mastering although its come out really tinny in the high end on soundcloud I've put downloads on so you can take a better look.

Thanks for listening

Thanks for the advice guys, thought it was pretty spot on. I've had a go at tackling you're issues as well as mastering although its come out really tinny in the high end on soundcloud I've put downloads on so you can take a better look.

Thanks for listening

Yeah, soundcloud streams at 128 kbps. Shouldn't affect that many songs out there though, to a noticeable extent.

• 7 months later...

Well, actually, a lot of this is mechanical. The acoustic guitar has zero round robins and often has rigid sequencing here; 1:04 is especially exposed. Same with the bass and fake electric guitar, though the electric guitar isn't so exposed that it matters. Even the flute is mechanical, though it's in a similar situation to the electric guitar; fake but not too exposed.