Name of games arranged: Sonic & Knuckles

Name of arrangement: Dub and shrooms

Name of individual song arranged: Mushroom hill zone act 1

Link to file:

----------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 2 weeks later...

Yipes. SUPER mechanical timing. As far as the instrument quality, I feel like I'm playing SimCity 2000 on my Macintosh in 1994. Coupled with the timing, this felt like it was already dead in the water. Slightly interesting f-ing around with the textures around the 1-minute mark, but this is literally the melodic line copy-pasta'ed over and over with no variation (except for the chorus) over some mildly evolving background elements, and none of it sounds cohesive. The dynamic curve throughout was basically a flat line. I'm afraid it's pretty far off the mark.

NO

I paneled this because I absolutely LOVE dub, and this source seems to work really well with that style. I love the concept of the reverby background piano/organ stabs, and I really like the filtering and effects before the drop. (Make sure you high-pass your reverb though, so it doesn't get too muddy.) Drums sound pretty good, hats are a touch loud, and a little more drum-writing variation wouldn't hurt, but what's here is working well. I like the delay on the claps. Track has good groove.

The mix has a few problems though, the first is that every instrument is written with super mechanical timing. Another problem is that there is zero writing variation on the theme from the original, making the track super repetitive. The instrumentation doesn't change, other than adding another layer of horns, so with the exact same writing, it is much too repetitive. I'd suggest using different leads for a section or two, and varying the melody a little bit somewhere, possibly making one section a unique solo, or even adding a breakdown. Dub breakdowns are the coolest.

Also, it is very hard to get sampled horns to sound realistic, it does take a lot of work and know-how to layer articulations well enough to make it realistic. It will sound better if the timing isn't quite so perfect, also the horns are mixed very brightly, dryly, and loudly making their sampley-ness stick out like a sore thumb. I would suggest a few things here: first of all, vary the writing! Change up those samey verses a bit, write a solo somewhere. Resist the urge to over-quantize. Take some of the highs out of the trumpets, give them some realistic reverb, and tame their volume for better overall balance (horns are much too far forward). Try some different samples if you have any more available to you, check into some different soundfonts or whatever you have access to. Try layering samples and articulations.

Good luck and I hope to hear this back!

NO (resubmit)

Not much to add to what's already been said here. Larry really summarizes the issues well and I don't want to beat a dead horse (sequencing, dynamics, lack of cohesion between parts, repetitive nature). If you haven't already, I'd recommend spending some time in the WIP forums, which should net you some more immediate feedback and help on the more high-level issues you're facing here.

Good luck to you.

NO