*NO* Truxton 2 'Main EXP'

djpretzel

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/other/miscellaneous/arcade/TJO_ST2.mid - "I Defend STM"

The time matching up with the MIDI scared me at first, but thank God that wasn't the case. Basic beats started things off. Grainy lead came in at :29. Melody got into gear at 1:00 with a straightforward genre adaptation of the original.

The beats rather dragged on after a while, the construction is rather simplistic and sparse, and the piece could have used further processing and effects for a more unique sounding presentation. This was competent, but this was relying on some serious groove bias. Fine for ye olden days, but not cutting it now. Good base so far. You've gotta take the arrangement and instrumentation ideas to the next level.

Dunno what was up the track suddenly ending, but the encoding does seem kind of messed up. Just fix it later and provide a real ending if you continue to work on it.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

not bad, there are certainly some interesting textures here. Unfortunately the arrangement is a little too straightforward right now. The groove (drums/bass) stay constant through the whole thing, and a lot of the time there's little else going on besides the lead. I'd like to hear this done with a bit more expansion.

NO

Right off the bat it's clear the production is pretty sharp. The sounds are nice. When the saw synth comes in, though, things get a little cluttered. Lots of low/low-mid stuff that muddies up the sound. The drums are nice and beefy, at least. Now what you have to do is make a nice arrangement on top of that. As it is, it's really straightforward.. structurally simple. There are no significant changeups, nothing to change the mood, it's always moving in the same direction the whole time. At 2:01 the melody seems to clash a little with the bassline, too.

In my opinion, you should work on a wider range of synth timbres, cut back a little bit on the repetition, switch up the drum patterns more, and in general expand the arrangement to make it more interesting. It's not far off, so keep at it.

NO