Websites:

http://codyrburns.moonfruit.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cody_R_Burns

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3979887/

userID: 45468

Submission Info:

Name of Game: Pokemon: Diamond Version

Name of Arrangement: Groovin' in B-"Miner"

Name of Song Arranged: Oreburgh City (Day)

Link to Original:

Composer: Hitomi Sato

System: Nintendo DS

Comments: "I wanted to create something different that hasn't been seen before in this game. I've been a fan of the series since the old GameBoy days, and to take a theme that people often overlook and turn it into a groove, it was a thrilling experience. By adding in an eccentric funk guitar sound with a hip-hop beat, I've combined the two into something that hardcore fans of the series will recognize, but maybe question what theme has been remixed."

---------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Weird source song. It has some unusual elements working together, almost dissonant. Cody's song keeps that crazy mood but adapts it to a more fleshed out, groovy style. I like the ideas here, but the sequencing is really not doing the song favors. The hip-hop loop is overused, the flute, plucked instruments, and others are lacking in expression. Cody uses a wide array of instruments, which compensates somewhat for that, but I didn't think it was enough. However, some of the funkier guitar parts were cool.

It was also a problem that the song didn't really move outside of the first gear. Once the guitar and shakers come in (let's call that 1.5 gear), it stays at the same energy level throughout and reuses some sections too. Good start, Cody, but I think this needs more to sell it.

NO (resubmit)

I like the western/train themed idea, very interesting adaptation of this source. Source use is covered, no issue there.

I agree with Vinnie's crits, and I'll add that those shakers are too loud/relentless and need volume variation, and also the song tends to get quite busy with every instrument playing a busy line at the same time, all the way through. This makes the arrangement feel hectic and no instrument gets a chance to shine.

When the violin is playing lead, it is totally buried, and you've got a banjo-sounding thing that is panned totally to the right (and another plucked instrument panned totally left) which sounds a bit odd. The writing might sound less hectic if the balances were adjusted so the violin lead would be the loudest thing with the other elements pushed back and panned less severely.

The track is super short. I'd suggest adding a couple of softer sections, without the drum loop, with just a couple of elements and light percussion. Some drum variation throughout the track would be nice too. Also, that ending is super abrupt with no warning or cool-down or transition first, so it feels like it is just tacked onto the end.

NO (resubmit)

Definitely co-signed with Palpable on his critiques on the sequencing, dynamic contrast and repetition. I had a few additional thoughts.

The sitar stuff sounded super quantized; zame with whatever twangy, plucked instrument you used at :16.

I'm not sure why the bass kick first used at :03 is so boomy, but that should be toned down, not beefed up at :24. The low-end the kick creates just clutters up the soundscape, IMO.

The fullest textures from :24-:33 weren't totally clicking with me, partly because there's no real dominant melodic presence due to the mixing, and partly because there also seemed to be a lack of high-end clarity, making everything sound distant. The lead could stand to be more upfront when interacting with other elements.

It's a cool concept that needs more substance in the second half, as well as more clarity and balance in the mixing, but it's a cool source tune choice and a promising concept if you're willing to tweak it further, Cody. Definitely keep at it in terms of submitting things, even if it's not a resubmission of this piece. :-)

NO (resubmit)