*NO* Doom 'BFG'

Palpable

CONTACT INFO:

ReMix by "Dynamite Pleasure Chair" (forums userid 52588)

Dynamite Pleasure Chair is:

JP Jason Power: Vocals

Dan Cranston: Bass guitar

Nick Brutal: Lead and rhythm guitar

Brett Petersen: Drums

website: http://www.dynamitepleasurechair.com (currently just points at our Facebook page, we will have a proper site in the near future)

e-mail contact: (the address I'm sending this from!)

SUBMISSION INFO:

Game: DOOM (PC, 1993) http://ocremix.org/game/110/doom-win

Source track: "At Doom's Gate (E1M1)" http://ocremix.org/song/732 (can be heard at

)

ReMix name: BFG

This song is track 4 from our upcoming album "Sudden Impact", which is full of music about video games, 80s and 90s movies, and even Dr. Seuss books! Our usual sound is largely influenced by punk rock, grunge, and metal, though is best described as "seusscore". This track, however, is PURE METAL. Everything you hear is real instruments, recorded with Tim Lynch at "The Recording Company" in upstate NY. We wanted to do a track about DOOM and felt pretty strongly that "At Doom's Gate" (the first level theme) was the most iconic and recognizable (as well as my personal favorite!) The intro and verse are the source material played relatively straight, and the chorus and lyrics are all original - my biggest concern about suitability for OCR is that there may be too much original material for your standards, but I'm hoping the original track is prominent enough that it won't be an issue! This track also has explicit lyrics, but I don't imagine that will be a problem since there are already songs with explicit lyrics on OCR such as http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02388/ ("Prancing Dad" by Prince of Darkness).

We have another track from the same album about Dr. Mario that we will probably also submit in the future - it has considerably less original material mixed in with our arrangement of the source and may thus be more suitable, but the band wanted to submit BFG first since it's one of our favorite tracks!

Thanks so much for your time and feedback!

-Dan Cranston, bassist of Dynamite Pleasure Chair

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Interesting arrangement. The original is basically just one riff, and you guys expanded upon it by adding a chorus (with vocals!) and a new post-chorus section. All in all, this is really well-executed but too liberal. 0:00-0:29 and 1:08-1:37 are the only direct uses of the sources, and 2:16-2:27 might be counted if I'm feeling generous. That's really not enough to be dominant. I would strongly encourage you guys to send more our way, if it uses less original material.

NO

I'm basically in Palpable's camp, only I counted a bit more source.

I counted 00-:28.75, 1:08.5-1:37.5, 2:17.25-2:39 (quiet bassline from source paired with interpretive lead, plus counting the tail of the final note from the melody).

79.5 seconds of a 162-second track or 49.07% overt source usage

So even being super generous, the source was still incorporated a little less than 50% of the piece, meaning the VGM wasn't the dominant aspect of the arrangement.

It's an awesome track, and I'd pass it if the fadeout ending used the E1M1 theme a little more. IMO, that'd be an easy way to use the source one more time and have it squeak by with the source usage being dominant.

Awesome piece and a strong performance that just needs a little more usage of the VGM for the win. Hopefully we'll see DPC on the front page in some form; we definitely want more like this!

NO (resubmit)

I'll cosign on the "not quite enough source" statement. Really close though, won't take too much to get just a bit more recognizable source in there. Well produced track otherwise!

The vocal portions of this track contain no source. This arrangement reminds me of another that I'm familiar with, which includes essentially source-free vocal interludes, making the arrangement a bit "disjointed"... (but with juuuust enough source in the rest of the track, it still passed!) :-P

NO (resubmit)