Hard Working Moles are Happy Moles-Super Mario RPG

YoshiBlade

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-lesuer/get-back-to-work

( I didn't know using playthroughs was causing that much of a problem, but under protest :) here's the link) Thank you Timaeus222!

So this is more soundscape( bear with me on this one) I just feel with all the interpretive sounds it really is more of an opera with no singing( pretty sure if that's not possible...)

:05 The hammering beat

:21 the sound of rhythmic push broom

:24 the jackhammer chipping away to the beat,

1:05 the steam escaping from the cymbals

1:12 the friendly company reminders as cheerful bleeps "Thank you for shopping with (insert mole pun store name) and remember…A Hard Working Mole is a Happy Mole”

2:10 Oh an the Basson, next to the human voice, might be one of the most expressive instruments out there, it complains, asks "why do I have to work so HAAAAARRRRRD?" "but I'm SOOOOOOO tired "

Next question Seriously need help with this one, so a while back there was request for a Remix of "Hard Working Moles are Happy Moles" for a Super Mario RPG album project. It's from a year ago. How do I submit this for consideration on that album? Not sure whats happing with that, any help is appreciated, Thank You For Your time!!

Edited by YoshiBlade
needs source info before MR

I can't help you with anything but I really like the opening especially but the whole vibe. Only feedback I would give is that I don't feel like the sound of the lead lives up to the other great sounds you come up with. This was a tune I was considering working on myself sometime but now I feel like I don't have to, nice job

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All of 0:00 - 0:36 feels too texturally sparse or dry. You either need more filler textures or wetter reverb, because it just feels empty there. The cymbals are all a bit abrasive, such as at 1:45 - 1:47.

As a whole, the textures feel old; as in, this feels like it was a mixpost produced before 2007. With this arrangement, you basically need more textural development and complexity to keep interest; this almost feels like an OST rather than a remix to me.

Edited by timaeus222

Thanks for the feed back Timaeus, by "OST" do you mean too distant from the source material? While I did edit a lot of the more superfluous elements, if you listen to the original track it's pretty sparse textural to begin with. The beginning I tried to make give an outdoor everyone working vibe, so I don't know how well reverb would work, but now that you pointed it out, some busy walking/working/doing villag-esque sound effects(I just gotta hunt some down) might help the mix?

Thanks for the feed back Timaeus, by "OST" do you mean too distant from the source material? While I did edit a lot of the more superfluous elements, if you listen to the original track it's pretty sparse textural to begin with. The beginning I tried to make give an outdoor everyone working vibe, so I don't know how well reverb would work, but now that you pointed it out, some busy walking/working/doing villag-esque sound effects(I just gotta hunt some down) might help the mix?

By "OST", I mean if this happened to be part of a soundtrack to an original game of some sort, I wouldn't be surprised, just based on the sound design choices. Nothing wrong with that necessarily, just an observation. It's kind of like saying if you used Roland SC-88 samples to write orchestral scores, it might sound like Final Fantasy Tactics or Suikoden II music because that sounds close to what those used.

And while some original VGM might be texturally sparse at times, remember that they might be doing it to accommodate for the sound effects used in the game, whereas a ReMix doesn't have to... preemptively mix to anticipate the addition of sound effects (usually it's more like, you want to add them sometime in the middle of the writing process, so that the sound effects hopefully don't become the main focus, but the music instead). Or, those were the best they could do with the resources they had, or perhaps it could just be how the composer intended it. Either way, with a ReMix, it should elevate the original at least a little bit since we have the resources to do so, and if the textures are fuller, it contributes to a more interpretive, nuanced experience.

Edited by timaeus222