Remixer Name: Kogasu

E-Mail:

User ID: 52432

Submission:

Submission info

Game: Raiden

Arrangement name: "The Fearless Lightning and Thunder"

Song used: "Gallantry"

I decided to try my hand at submitting something., I hope it isn't too bad.

--------------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Great start. Right from the bat, this has great energy and the Raiden melody works really well adapted to rock. The B-section isn't handled as well though. The lead guitar still sound good, but drum/bass pattern is a little basic and thin to fill in the wide gap left by the rhythm guitars. When the rhythm guitars come back, the gap is filled, but the guitars aren't that interesting, playing basic power chords. Again, the A-section sounds excellent, especially with the soloing brought in. The transition at 2:25 was really abrupt and didn't seem to do much apart from extend the song. There was another unchanged repetition of the A-section right after it.

This is very close, but lacking the extra push needed to really make this song work. I would do more with the B-section, either using some muted rhythm guitar, or more elaborate drum patterns and fills. When the rhythm guitars are in play in the B-section, they should do something a little more interesting, maybe a flourish near the end of the chord. Finally, it would be nice to have the last repetition do something a little different, maybe more soloing or changing around the bass or drum patterns. This is an excellent start, Julian!

NO (resubmit)

Vinnie has covered the issues well. This is a great start! It won't take too much to bring it up to OCR level I think.

The track is mastered to about -3db, which feels oddly quiet for a rock track such as this. I think you could easily bump it up closer to 0db, just be careful not to squash it in the process.

The drums feel sooooo quiet and distant. I think they could come up in volume somewhat. Also, the bass is almost comically quiet. From 0:25-0:49 it is really apparent that there is a balance issue with the lead guitar, bass and drums.

The guitar writing and soloing is good and so are the rhythm guitars. The arrangement does have a bit of samey-ness going on, Vinnie mentioned the verbatim A-section after that little synthy interlude at 2:25. That would be a perfect opportunity to do some really wild solo there. Also I feel like that little interlude does more to stop the flow of the song than anything else, and would probably be a better transition with just an extended guitar chord or something.

NO (resubmit)

Yeah, I agree with the other in terms of liking the overall intensity, but definitely had the same complaints.

The track got SUPER EMPTY at :26 with no backing guitar and basic drumwork. What happened there? The drum tone from :24-1:14 definitely didn't fit at all, and you need to fill out the soundscape there. I see you're attempting to create dynamic contrast, but don't gut the track to do it. :-D

The mixing was definitely off. I also couldn't hear the bass ANYWHERE after :49, and everything sounded very lossy with no high frequencies. The rinse-and-repeat at 2:02 and 2:27 was a bummer. We definitely need more variation and development of the arrangement. I disagree with Palpable that this is very close to passing, but it IS well in the right direction.

To summarize, Julian, this is a good start, the arrangement and performance are interpretive, but...

* the mixing is imbalanced

* the soundscape is empty from :26-1:14

* the drums have to be changed from :24-1:14

* the arrangement shouldn't repeat verbatim from 2:02 until the finish in a track that's only 3 minutes; add more variations to your treatment of the source tune

NO (resubmit)