Liontamer

Contact Info

remixer name: VMC

email:

Submission Info

game: Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

arrangement name : Sturm und Dreiklang

tune arranged: Song of Storms

comments: I was just trying out my new virtual instruments with no intention of using existing material. A remix happened anyway.

-------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Interesting textures to start. The beat at :23 felt a little dry, but it wasn't a big deal. The plucked strings at the start & the woodwind sequencing at :34 both sounded pretty rigid in terms of the timing. Good use of the sequenced guitar at 1:01 for a different variation of the source melody.

Again, the timing felt noticeably stiff, but serviceable. The same criticism for the plucks strings and woodwind again at 1:01; there's that stiffness in the timing that prevents me from really getting into this.

The last section at 2:14 did do some different things, but the beats made it feel like a fairly static retread as far as the energy, so it felt anticlimactic to me. I'm not saying the energy should have ratcheted way up, but dynamically it was pretty flat. Some sort of rhythmic, instrumental or textural changes could have helped for a more interesting close. Really anything different, even subtly like you have now (just more of it), would help finish this more strongly.

I like the arrangement, and this definitely would have made it a decade ago, but the bar's risen since then. It's definitely well in the right direction as far as giving the source tune a different sound and energy, so the arrangement/interpretation side was there.

But the realism in the sound of the sequenced parts should be improved, first and foremost. I also think 2:14's section could use something new and/or different to create some more dynamic contrast with the rest of the piece, perhaps just some beat variations, but we'll see if anyone else agrees.

Hopefully you'll consider working on this a bit further, Vincent, because this is a creative approach that clicks in a lot of ways.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

This has to be my favorite VGM song of all time. I love Song of Storms, so much.

Interesting ideas here, I hear you about using new samples... but using sampled instruments, especially guitar, harp, and flute, things have got to be VERY well humanized, and especially when you've got a sparse-ish arrangement and lots of same-y arps going. (I'd recommend replacing some of the straight arp patterns with some flourishes or other variations, to break them up)

The track starts out with just the guitar, and it sounds much too fake, with those three notes in particular (F-E-F) being identical in velocity. I'd recommend looking into how to humanize it, or layer it with something else to hide the fakeness just a bit, or vary the writing slightly somewhere (flourish or strummed chord maybe). (Same suggestion for the harp when it enters at 0:35) Then the flute comes in, and while it works better than the guitar in terms of realism, there aren't enough natural breathing breaks that tell me it *might* be real. Add some breathing breaks.

I love this arrangement! But it needs to be humanized and/or layered, and yeah I'd suggest you make 2:14 to the end really epic, add some more textures there, some bigger drums or different patterns, maybe a countermelody, or something else to really make that last section pop, right to the end.

NO (resubmit)

Yeah, rigid sequencing and samples are really hurting this. Biggest offender is the flute lead at :35. The note changes are robotic and the sample timbre is inconsistent between notes.

Ideas are cool. I dig the fuzzy beat beneath this and the feel you're going for.

Re-reading Larry's vote and he really nailed it here with his various crits. Stop reading my vote and go read his :).

Good start here, but needs some production looooove.

NO resubmit, please