Help. Please. Before I chop my computer to bits(Yamaha S90)

Okay, here it goes. I had finished recording the Goldeneye RA remix. I quickly hit the mixdown button, and then after it had "done it's thing" I prepaired to listen to it.

I was shocked.

No sound.

At all.

I read the manuals through and through for the Yamaha S90's mixing/recording software manual (the recording software that comes with the package), and learned, much to my despair, that I had not actually recorded it when I "recorded" it, but rather just set a group of parameters, info, ect. that my Yamaha S90 could play from.

So the question is.

How do I get it to actually record the notes/sound I play from my S90?

Help!

There's two outputs on your S90 called "LINE OUT L/R" or something like that.

There's a stereo input on your soundcard called the "line in". Nowadays they have a cute blue ring around where you plug the cable in.

You buy one of these:

jacktocinch2kc.jpg

... and you get 2 of these:

108601664211699ng.th.jpg

(click for bigger)

The big ones go in the back of the S90 at L and R. The small one on the other end goes in the "line in" of your soundcard.

I hope this clears up the situation :).

MIDI is simply not audio. First and most important lesson to learn :).

Alright, three more questions...

A.) Where can I get those cables in Colorado?

B.) How much are they?

C.) What port would they be on my Sony VIAO Laptop (It has a yellow circle thingy not a blue one?)

A.) Online, or Radio Shack if you have em.

B.) Depending on the length and brand, around $15 - $20.

C.) It should say "Mic" or "Line in". If not, it's the mini-plug port that you don't plug your headphones in.

(It has a yellow circle thingy not a blue one?)

If it says "S/PDIF" in the manual, don't try anything funny with it. That's a digital output. It could also be an extra video output (composite).

Take some pictures of your laptop's sides, upload 'm, and we'll be able to tell you what to plug where.

AH! I have the little Mic jack thingy.

The difference between a regular line in and a mic in is that the mic in is amplified. Hooking up a regular line-level signal to it makes it sound like ass and poo, and most likely distorted. Those small microphones on webcams or sold separately aren't powered, that's why the signal should be amplified. You don't want that with your S90, so you're going to need the line in which is blue.