Headphone ambient noise

I just bought a used pair of AKG K240 headphones, and it's my first "expensive" set of headphones.

When nothing is playing, I get really quiet and subtle staticky noise. It doesn't bother me, but is it normal?

Also, a big problem is that whenever I play something with a piano in it, if the piano is playing any non-bass notes somewhat loudly, there is very noticeable static. It seems to only happen with pianos. Is that something fixable?

My headphones are connected through a set of cheap speakers. Do those speakers make any difference, or will it sound better if I just connect it directly to my computer? If I do, is there any way to increase the volume (since there's no knob on the headphones)?

My old cheap pair of headphones had similar problems. Maybe it's the computer? Also, what I find odd is that when I do something like move the mouse, the ambient static changes a little. So if I move my scroll wheel, the static becomes a little different, and when I flick my cursor around, it changes too. Is this normal?

Are my headphones just messed up or is it something that has to do with my computer itself?

Thanks for your help guys.

I just bought a used pair of AKG K240 headphones, and it's my first "expensive" set of headphones.

When nothing is playing, I get really quiet and subtle staticky noise. It doesn't bother me, but is it normal?

Also, a big problem is that whenever I play something with a piano in it, if the piano is playing any non-bass notes somewhat loudly, there is very noticeable static. It seems to only happen with pianos. Is that something fixable?

My headphones are connected through a set of cheap speakers. Do those speakers make any difference, or will it sound better if I just connect it directly to my computer? If I do, is there any way to increase the volume (since there's no knob on the headphones)?

My old cheap pair of headphones had similar problems. Maybe it's the computer? Also, what I find odd is that when I do something like move the mouse, the ambient static changes a little. So if I move my scroll wheel, the static becomes a little different, and when I flick my cursor around, it changes too. Is this normal?

Are my headphones just messed up or is it something that has to do with my computer itself?

Thanks for your help guys.

There is your problem. The speakers probably have poor connections for the little headphone port, which will cause you the static. Try plugging them in directly into the headphone port of your sound card; if it's any decent, they should sound wonderful.

Edit: Also, the static with the scroll wheel and cursor are a product of the sound card being too close to the hard drive, or it being unshielded. I'm guessing you have an integrated card, so you may have to go out and buy a new one.

The AKG K240S (studio) is the low impedance (55Ω) version of the original 600Ω pair. The higher impecance the coil has, the higher must the voltage be to come up to the same power. This means that the higher the impedance, the "harder is it to drive" them. Compare a 4Ω speaker to an 8Ω for example. The principe is the same.

Iv'e listened on a pair of K240 on a computer and with the volume on max from a integrated soundcard the volume is quite enough. If you want higher volume you need a better soundcard or a headphone-amp.

If you have a cheap built-in soundcard, the noise guaranteed comes from the soundcard.

The weird noises you hear upon computer activity - I get that too on my onboard laptop audio. It usually happens when my wireless network card is moving data. I'd really suggest getting a new nice sound card if what you are using is just onboard sound. You're not going to hear the goodness of good heaphones with crap onboard sound. A new card might have more output power too.