*NO* Fushigi no Dungeon 2 'To Fight Again'

djpretzel

Email sub file Fushigi no Dungeon 2 - Furai no Shiren To Fight Again O C ReMix.mp3 - really nice drums

Hi! I've been listening to the songs for awhile but this is my first submission. I think it sounds a lot like some of zircon's stuff, but probably not as good. I hope you like it!

Great Site!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC and save big.

http://www.snesmusic.org/v2/wiki.php?iRequest=wiki/ViewPage&iPage=Undumpable

There's no SPC pack of this game's soundtrack so if anything ever passed from this game, we'd have to track down the soundtrack.

After that seemingly low quality intro for the first few seconds (which literally made me "WTF?"), things really picked up. Why is this so short? It sounds like a 1970s cartoon or action series intro, straight up. Grove-biased [sic] and hawtz.

But it needs more everything at this stage. If this was something in the 2:30 range by, say, Binster, the piece would always evolve and develop. Here, you intro, then hit the main verse, then repeat that verse, go for a (very nice) break section, then simply repeat the main verse again with a key change for the finish.

In terms of the track, it's short and the structure is very formulaic, and may need further development IMO, but the instrumentation is swanky. The beats are strong, the sounds are fairly balanced, and everything pieces together very well.

As far as the arrangement, the soundtrack is too rare for me to snag a copy, so you need to give us a copy of the original or point us in direction of obtaining it. I've got my channels, but throw a guy some help. I wouldn't have the slightest idea how conservative or interpretive the arrangement is.

Perhaps add in some more substance, variation and development within the track, perhaps enough to extend it by a minute. And see what you can do about obtaining a copy of the source material. Great stuff so far, it's a keeper and very much a throwback. I'm giving fair warning to y'all that you will be groove-biased to this.

Once I get a copy of the original, I can give a full assessment. It repeats a lot, but if the main verse is already really substantially arranged, then perhaps this has what it takes to pass. Will vote later.

EDIT (6/13): And for some reason last night, I had a dream that this was the theme for "All in the Family" where Edith Bunker had already died, and Archie was left raising 3 ghetto youths. I woke up going, "where did that theme music come from?" then I remembered this. That's NOT what I had in mind with the 70s reference. I was thinking more about some sort of Hong Kong Phooey knockoff. :lol:

Is it just me or are the drums slightly off-rhythm? I know what swung drums sound like, but these just seemed a bit off to me. Maybe it's just my imagination. The pattern, however, is VERY cool.. we don't hear drums like these very often! So props on the creative sequencing there. In terms of the rest of the production, everything fits together really well, and the sound design is creative. I am impressed. However, you encoded the MP3 too low.. considering how short the song is, you could easily jack it up to 192kbps. As it is, at 128, it doesn't sound as sharp as it should. One other quick suggestion: later on, add some rides, hihats, tambourines, bongos, or other extra stuff to the drums a little later on if you want to spice 'em up even more (not that they're bad). I think that would sound really cool.

While I have not heard the original, I think I can more or less figure out the melody based on this ReMix. I agree with Larry that you need to vary things up more in the structure of the song. Add some original material, improvise over the progression, change the rhythm of the melody, change the chord progression but leave the melody the same.. lots of things you can do. As it is, this is just a little too repetitive and static considering the length of the remix.

Some extra polish and this is ready to go. Please resub!

NO

• 2 weeks later...
Is it just me or are the drums slightly off-rhythm? I know what swung drums sound like, but these just seemed a bit off to me. Maybe it's just my imagination.

Nah, I think you're right, and I agree with you. The writing though is really cool. No luck on any game rip of the source material, though I will keep looking. The style is otherwise excellent, but I need to see a bit more development as well as have a copy of the original to confirm the depth of the arrangement. If the structure had more variation and development (zirc had some good tips about varying the percussion later on, for example), I wouldn't have reservations on it beyond confirming the source. Definitely tweak this one and resubmit, akumabito. This is icy hot so far.

NO (borderline/resubmit)

Yeah these are really nice drums! I would have liked the encoding to be higher though, because it does let the submission down quite a bit. This is my biggest issue. Perhaps a completely different (breakdown) section would make the melodic elements more interesting to listen to, as those parts could do with a more dynamic twist. But yeah, a higher encoding on this one please!

NO (borderline! plz resub)