Killer Instinct - Basic Intuition

APZX

Taking some inspiration from Killer Instinct I have a rough WIP remix of the Main Theme from this SNES title.

Source Material

Link to listen and/or download

I did this very quickly actually so it is quite rough. The transitions need work, obviously the mixing, but I have what I feel is a good base to start with. Really just looking for some feedback on perhaps ways to go or things I should do.

I really should say that the mixing is very rough. I will suss that out after I have completed the composition and that is my primary concern at this time.

Edit - Link to listen or download. All right so I smoothed out the composition a little more now. However, I'm still wondering if there is enough meat in the middle of the track and whether or not the ending is appropriate or too abrupt.

Edit 2- Link to listen or download.

Edited by APZX

Mmm yeah, the mixing is rough. I dunno if that kick sample works through-out the song either, at 1:49~ it sounds noticeably dry and bare.

There's like, a lot of filler in this track. Most of the time is spent building up or coming down from something, not a lot is spent on that actual something. You could probably cut the first minute (or mash the first 2 minutes together), cut out a bit of what's going on in the third minute.

The ending does seem to kinda drift off and then give up too.

The song feels like it's playing it safe in that you aren't doing anything too extraordinary. It comes off a little thin, a little plain. There does feel like there is something going on in the middle of it, and that you can salvage it, but it's covered in a lot of mud. Gonna have to spend a bunch of time cleaning it up.

The kick sample at 1:49 is actually an entirely different kick sample and I've been toying with a different types and patterns. So, that is an issue that is being worked on. I have not yet come up with something I like.

The problem with the middle is I cannot figure out what I'm missing. It just feels like there is something not there, but I do yet know what it is. I have tried some experimenting with counter leads and such but nothing has really had that eureka moment.

Though with the ending I'm not entirely sure how I could make it better or such. I personally kind of like how it is right now, but at the same time I'm not confident it is the right way to end the track as it were. More experimentation.

I'm not sure I agree about modifying the intro too much, I could perhaps shorten the time it takes for the filters to open, extend the middle a little and cut the draw down time in the end. It would probably end up being about the same length overall but would probably end up still sounding right if that makes sense.

Also, I know the mixing is rough. But for me the goal in the composition is get things about where they need to go. Voicing, dynamics, etc . . .. Then when I do start mixing it will be much better sounding overall. I just do not see the point in mixing from the get go. Takes way too much time from the actual composition. Also, thank you for the listen and comments!

I just do not see the point in mixing from the get go. Takes way too much time from the actual composition. Also, thank you for the listen and comments!

I do that to get the context of my instrument/patch choices. Honestly, it doesn't take that much time off my workflow unless it's really hard (i.e. rigorous bass mixing, pedantic treble mixing, etc.), so I almost always do both at the same time.

And yeah, I agree that textures are feeling sparse/basic (i.e. 1:08 - 1:37, is clearly sparse) and the dynamic flow is fairly straightforward/plain. However you want to do it, fill in the parts that feel sparse or empty. Here are the parts I think feel empty:

1:08 - 1:37

2:58 - 3:06

3:13 - 3:28

Those parts need either some pads, arps, thicker chords, or more evident development. The ending is also unusual. It just doesn't seem to fit to have a digitally processed vocal after an atmospheric outtro.

Edited by timaeus222

Timaeus,

I think you took that quote a little too literal. My focus when composing is getting the voicing more or less where I need it rather than focusing on depth, freq masking, etc . . .. It just takes too much time to deal with those issues in the composition process.

As for the issues you mentioned I actually agree for the most part. I'm just trying to see if there is something I can that I also like. I did figure out a counter lead, kind of. Still need to tweak the actual sound though.

Though now you have me curious. You said the ending was unusual, which is what I wanted. What I'm curious about is whether the ending is actually mechanically fine as it were. Unusual was the goal. Seriously, Killer Instinct isn't unusual? Got to reflect some of the game's personality in the track somewhere.

Thank you for listening and the comments though. Got me thinking.

Finally, check the first post for an updated WIP. Still working on it.

Timaeus,

I think you took that quote a little too literal. My focus when composing is getting the voicing more or less where I need it rather than focusing on depth, freq masking, etc . . .. It just takes too much time to deal with those issues in the composition process.

As for the issues you mentioned I actually agree for the most part. I'm just trying to see if there is something I can that I also like. I did figure out a counter lead, kind of. Still need to tweak the actual sound though.

Though now you have me curious. You said the ending was unusual, which is what I wanted. What I'm curious about is whether the ending is actually mechanically fine as it were. Unusual was the goal. Seriously, Killer Instinct isn't unusual? Got to reflect some of the game's personality in the track somewhere.

Thank you for listening and the comments though. Got me thinking.

Finally, check the first post for an updated WIP. Still working on it.

Nah, I was just presenting my take on it for some perspective, not really harping on your methods. You can mix at whatever point you want. :-P

The main reason why I said the ending felt like it didn't fit was not because of the sound design alone, though it might be that in part. Since the outtro was atmospheric and then, for me, hinted at a fade-out, I didn't expect that robo-vocal to act as the ending; I expected a fade-out. Also, in terms of honoring VGM, it isn't necessary to keep the original feel of the source tune. You can do that, but you can also stray away from the general feel of it. Some people have written remixes in a completely different genre, mood, and/or feel to the source tune and still gotten it well-received (i.e. one of WillRock's remixes; Wild Arms, I think).

Edited by timaeus222