*NO* Another World 'Chahi Argonaut'

djpretzel

email sub file Mgoz - Chahi Argonaut.mp3

Salut

I have created Another World remix in celebrating the great Eric Chahi's renovation of Another World http://www.anotherworld.fr/

Inspired, this is a open minded renovation of the Ship song near end of game. I have supplied the Ship song also since I played through again recently :)

Merci,

Mgoz

--

Michael Gozalyn

mgozalyn@airpost.net

--

http://www.fastmail.fm - Email service worth paying for. Try it for free

http://www.exotica.org.uk/tunes/archive/Authors/Game/Freitas_Jean-Francois/Another_World.lha - Another World end (Anothw2.mod)

Interesting intro. Some bass and groove bias beetz came in at :17, somewhat exposing the low quality of the encoding, as I heard some fuzz/artifacts, though they were drowned out a bit once the strings kicked in at :35. Some (ultra fakey) plucked strings faded in around :49, while a modulating synth joined in around :57. Though the groove bias is there, it's certainly good to here the track possess some build.

Decent dropoff at 1:10 focusing on the modulating synth before bringing in arpeggiated-style (I take a wild guess!) stuff at 1:28. Bowed and (ultra fakey) plucked string synth joined back in at 2:03.

Sloppy transition at 2:20 to finally change the mood here, but it didn't work very well. Same with 3:48 to go back to the more upbeat style. Everything has decent buildups and dropoffs, but the grooves here just carry on and on without actually exploring the source tune enough.

Based on the sub letter, this "open minded renovation" seemed to be a liberal arrangement of the ending theme, but this certainly doesn't sound much like it. Doesn't sound like the intro theme either (apparently the only other track in the game). In case I'm mistaken, I'll be more than glad to reevaluate this.

The construction is promising; a couple of the sounds are used in a beginner-ish way and the production could be more polished, but the overall result is ok to listen to. Good grooves and fairly chill, but too far off from any of the game's music.

NO

This is ok to listen to, but isn't on par with OCR quality at the moment.

I like the intro sound. The sounds that were used don't gel together as well as they could have, I think it's a combinaion of that factor and the mixing that makes the sound production not sound as high quality as it could.

The section at 2.20 was nice, although I think that this mix in general needs some more melodic content, (a non repeating melody/improvisation section) and that section is a prime example of where a different melody would have fit in perfectly. On the second listen through of this piece, I'm bored because I've already heard everything.

NO

I know that instrument in the intro. Juno Reactor used it in "Jardin De Cecile"

Righto, the mix is generic simply put. The beats are repetative, there aren't a lot of switch-ups in the beats, nothing to make them stand out. The bass is EQ'ed well, but tends to drown out the melody. Larry was on the ball when he said that some of the sounds are used in a beginnerish way. Throw some effects in there to vary them so they're less MIDI-sounding.

Work on making the arrangement less repetative too. For being 5:35, you're reusing the same ideas over and over with little to no variation in the loops.

NO