Mega Man 1-10- Selected!

YoshiBlade

Orignial-

Remix- https://soundcloud.com/yoshiblade1/target-acquired-2

"For those regarded as warriors, when engaged in combat, the vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior's only concern." -HH

If the word "infamy" could be placed in musical notation, this is what we would hear. How does this little tune has within its few notes passion, anger, fear, determination in so many words this was my favorite part of the MM series. It's as if the Robot Master is both taunting you or the voice of a God demands "This is your foe, kill or be killed". This song is right up there with the James Bond Theme or the Mission Impossible Theme for imparting the urgency and danger the task at hand possesses.

As a side note 2 things.

1) Yes the intro must remain that long, I'm taking you on a trip back, many things change in MM, but the song remains (mostly) the same and I need every second, TBH I would have made it longer, but thats another story.

2) These drums an in need of help, The very drums were done by me live on the radio, back in march and I liked them so much, I tried to recreate them at home, not satisfied. If anyone is up to the challenge of trying to add some drums, PM me and we'll figure something out.

As always Thank You for listening and all feed back is necessary and welcome.

• 1 month later...

1) If no one comments, that doesn't mean ur song sux or anything ( especially if u expect a comment within 20 mins of being posted.lol)

I kinda like that u did an intro where it was like a nostalgia trip, but ya ppl might not like it if it was longer then that. Another thing i suggest you keep in mind is that everything before 0:54 was quiet but the lead comes in loud all of the sudden and immediately grabbed my attention. That's not always a good thing but I did enjoy the rest of the song. I can imagine mega man is in some kind of club layin down some dance moves. lol.

I don't really "get" the old-film-reel-style intro, because it then goes and leads into a loud, dry, exposed saw wave at 0:55, which sticks out too much. I didn't mind the intro length, but the dryness and volume of that sound just feels jarring, even nearer the 1 minute mark. I also can't really tell what the intro is even of. It's hard to hear. Arguably it sounds like medley-itis, if it's supposed to take (read: plow) you through Mega Man sources, which it seems to be.

When things change up at 1:16 and the main sections begin, I think this actually settles into a nice groove, sounding cohesive (yay) and enjoyable. Man though, that soundcloud waveform is so deceptive. It looks like there's something drastically wrong in the EQ in those bumps, but there's nothing overly problematic there...

Unfortunately I can't hear the source tune at 1:16 - 2:51, and the intro was medley-ish. That's a huge gap. So...

0:55 - 1:16, 2:51 - 3:22. That's all the Stage Select I hear. That's what, 52 seconds out of 202? There's almost no Stage Select here!

• 2 weeks later...

I did think the intro was too long, personally. I like the idea, but the Mega Man series just has too many games to make it work. Especially considering how short the remix source is and how little it's used.

The initial saw is so simple and so exposed, and so far removed from the original, it sounds like someone just kind of screwing around on a keyboard they took out of the closet. It's just unpleasant.

If you pretended this started at 1:08, it's not bad. An intro, a warmup, some solid beats. Not very recognizable as a remix (I hear the influence, but it's very liberal), but enjoyable. There are some fun house-style things you can do with a very short source to make it interesting but recognizable (risers, sweeps, etc.), play around with it.

• 4 months later...

Yeah, I still don't like the intro; it sounds like you sampled the original game and faded stuff in and out. It's just not creative, I definitely think it's medley-itis right now, and I think it would be to your benefit to start this at 1:00. It's much better at 1:00 and on. Furthermore, I still can't really hear Boss Select at 1:16 - 2:46. It's too liberal of an interpretation. It's like, 30% inspired by it.

At 3:16, it just returns to the basic medley-itis that hit you in the beginning. The complete and utter stop at 3:16 just ended the remix for me. As far as I'm concerned, 3:17 starts something completely separate and just not related at all. Additionally, whenever you've been using melodies in this remix, it's been just repeating the melody over and over again.

The bass at 4:10 was actually grating for me, and 4:23 was sudden and dissonant compared to what came before, at least until 4:30 where more harmonic context came in. Then at 4:41, somehow we skipped on over back to the first remix. I can't even talk about this without calling it two separate remixes. *shrug* At 5:08, we're back to the second remix with some sort of really resonant, painful high bell lead that should definitely, without a doubt, be replaced. It just hurts and melodically doesn't click until we're back to remix #1 at 5:39.

Yeah, main issues are definitely:

- Medley-itis, using the source tunes willy nilly

- Extremely resonant lead at 5:08 - 5:39

- Stagnant intro until 1:00

- Lack of sufficient transitions

Yeah I was half tempted to label it part 1 and part 2...ya know actually yeah im going to Pink Floyd this one. It's the same song but part 1&2...there is a Iceman Fireman mash-up (part3?) but its in another forum, I might add that one, but for now I need MOD feedback on the part 1&2 maybe I'll break it up, maybe not. I didn't want to make a new mix when I was feeling some synergy between the 2 of them seem to compliment each other...seriously though I realize musically it may not blend absolutely smoothly, but it is cut from the same cloth thematically, similar sounds and origins, does that count for anything?

The main thing is that there is a huge lack of transitions and many sudden source tune switches, making for a definite medley. You can have a completely cohesive sound palette being used here, but it won't change anything if there aren't enough transitions and the switch to a new source tune is so musically easy to distinguish. It'll stretch ya, but I think you should work on your transitions; it's a recurring thing I hear from you, and if you can get on more solid ground with transitions, you'll be several steps forward. In general I think your production is already pretty good.