*NO* Metroid 'Zebes Reentry'

djpretzel

This is a ReMix of the Metroid Theme Song. The beat is kinda like Busta Rhymes meets C64. The beginning of the song is done asymmetrically, and I tried to do my own thing with the original while keeping it recognizable.

enjoy!

windexwindex

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC and save big.

great ideas in here. at points it reminds me of the Deus Ex soundtrack. The interpretation of the original is really creative in the first half. Unfortunately the second half is all new material as far as i can tell. Don't hear metroid at all. And while the first half is creative, it doesnt develop particularly well, in fact the first half of the song is fairly monotonous. Unfortunately have to give this one a

NO

but i look forward to future submissions.

great ideas in here. at points it reminds me of the Deus Ex soundtrack. The interpretation of the original is really creative in the first half. Unfortunately the second half is all new material as far as i can tell. Don't hear metroid at all. And while the first half is creative, it doesnt develop particularly well, in fact the first half of the song is fairly monotonous. Unfortunately have to give this one a NO

but i look forward to future submissions.

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/metroid.zip - Track 1

I see the Busta Rhymes/C64 analogies thrown in here, certainly. But Vigilante sums it up short and sweet. The first half was creative at the very beginning, but then didn't develop the melodies into anything more.

Beyond 1:36, I also didn't hear anything remotely connected to the source. Track also sounded pretty empty, for example during the section at 1:52. Really could use a pad or something in the background to fill things out.

You show potential, but yes, the construction was interesting but ultimately sparse, and the arrangement was way too liberal of an approach.

NO

I like this ReMix quite a bit, although I think some more time could have been spent filling out the mix in terms of texture. For example, perhaps a harder, more hip-hop like beat could have overdubbed the chip beat later on in the song to progress things a little more.

Arrangement isn't the best I've ever heard but it is engaging nevertheless, and passable imo. Sound and production is good. No reason why this can't be a

YES

• 2 weeks later...

There's a lot of excellent ideas going on here.

But at times I felt the instrumentation and composition were very thin and sparse. It almost felt like there were only 3-4 elements at play here.

Half of the mix almost sounds like you turned on an arpeggiator, threw in some beats and melody and rinse and repeat. I know this may not be the case, but it felt and sounded like that.

I think this needs more tweaking, more instrumentation, more supporting material, more relevance to the source tune and finally development (whether that's through dynamics, instrument/synth changes, change of texture, tempo, compositional work or all of the above - something!) This is compounded by the feeling of monotony, due to the lack of evolution or textural change.

I love the bass work though.

NO

The beats work as an intro, but you need to build them beyond the same loops you're using to start with, they get old fast. The song goes from sounding promising to just sounding repetative and incomplete. The switchup in the drums comes 1:30 through the piece, you need to bring that in sooner, and then beef up the drums for a second section.

I do like the way you've set up the mix, if it is done the way Gray pointed out with an arpeggiator, it works well. But it needs to be executed better.

Work on varying those beats some more, beefing them up in the second section, and the other stuff that the other judges have mentioned and this could turn out quite well.

NO