GW-7, SH-201, or Juno D?

AFAIK the SH-201 is the latest from Roland and offers the most features for the buck. The Juno D is really just a Trance snyht with like... 20-30 patches and barely any special features? Wasn't impressed by it at all to be honest.

Take a dive into the archives. I'm pretty sure we covered that in the Musikmesse 2006 thread:

http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=81091

Well depends on your preferences what to get. Yamaha, Roland, Kurzweil, maybe the new Terratec Aera 51 controller with the Komplexer ROM board. All are interesting in their own kind of way, also do they have a different focus (more electronic based, more orchestra based, etc). Just depends on what you want to do with them.

My taste doesn't count here, as it doesn't blend in with most of the mixers at OCR. Make up "your" own mind. Cause you have to work with the synthesizer for the next couple of years, as they all aren't cheap.

Again, use the search function of these boards. We have this kind of topic every once in a while.

That's apples, bananas, and rhinos.

In other words, no comparison. One's an arranger that probably won't allow deep editing, one's a performance synth without a sequencer, one's a virtual analog (in that order). Just because they all cost the same doesn't mean they're equal.

What do you need - built-in rhythms and realistic sounds, just realistic sounds (if you're composing using the computer anyway), or sounds used in electronic music?

The SH-201 has 32 user patches and 32 factory patches. The latter cannot be overwritten. It also doesn't have a display. In that aspect it looks pretty much like the old Juno-60 (which had a 2-number display and 56 patches). It can transmit and receive audio via USB and there's an editor for it.

Nobody on OCR will probably recommend the 201 as there are many (free) VST plugins which will either do the same or better. Most people on OCR use an arranger keyboard just to play notes into the computer, as they have little use for the built-in rhythms.

Besides the Juno-D, also check out the Korg X-50 and Micro-X. Both can hook up via USB to your computer directly but this only replaces the MIDI interface, and the editor runs through it, too.

The SH-201 can process audio, so that's something to think about (not sure if the Juno-D does that).

If you really need a keyboard, and don't want to do things through the computer, you just need to figure out what you actually need. Do you need an audio interface/processing/mastering capabilities? Or just sounds, or do you want an actual synth?

• 2 weeks later...

Screw that, if you are gonna go Roland and go "D" the answer is simple - get the D50! ;)

Is it just me or do 80's synths just feel more organic...you know, alive? Maybe it's because the D/A converters are so shitty or the low bit rates give it that gritty quality I love so much.

Argh who am I kiddin', I want a D50. *sob* *sob*

Or even better, the V-synth loaded with the D50 card. Too bad there's no D50 softsynth either... :(

Oh yeah, sorry for straying off topic there...but seriously what are you looking for in a synth? A workstation? A ROMpler? An analogue? A digital synth? FM or Sample and Synthesis?

Remember, one synth can sound absoultely nothing like another - they are not like any other instrument in the world.