*NO* Zanac 'Barrel Roll Mix'

DragonAvenger

Your ReMixer name: subliminal labs

Your real name: matt friedly

Your email address:

Your website: http://mattfriedly.bandcamp.com/

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile: 4340

Wow! I can't believe my Zanac remix isn't up here! I've had my two lesser quality remixes on Overclocked for years now!

-------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Hey, cool to see you submitting after such a long time! Right off I'm noticing that the synths are a bit on the generic side of things. I think you can take a look into upgrading your sounds and picking some synths that mesh a bit better together. A lot of the lead choices had some strange attacks and delays on them as well, which made them sound awkwardly out of time.

I haven't found all the source tunes yet that you used in the track, but the opening section is pretty much an exact cover to the title theme, and similar for the first area. I'd love for you to branch out a little more and work on your arrangements. Check out some of the recently posted mixes and compare them to their source tunes to get a bit more familiar with the standards that OCR has now in terms of arrangement. Some of the transitions are a bit rough in the track as well, one example being 2:00 where the track abruptly stops then starts a new section.

Good to see you submitting again, Matt, and I hope you stick around this time! Check our WIP forums to get some great feedback from our forum goers and WIP moderators.

NO

Deia has covered the issues quite well. The OCR bar has risen quite a bit since ye olden days... this production just feels stale unfortunately. The sounds are generic, and the transitions are awkward. The soundscape and energy stay the same all the way through and there's a lot of repetition in writing as well. This arrangement has a lot of promise though, with a soundchoice overhaul and some up-to-date mixing. When you resubmit, please provide us with a source breakdown, that would be a tremendous help!

NO (resubmit)

I absolutely 100% concur with all of the critiques Deia gave. I don't think there's much more I can offer in terms of feedback on the arrangement itself. I strongly suggest taking this to the WIP forums to brush up on production/synthesis tips to help improve your production.

In addition, I would recommend listening to any one of these mixes (4 separate links there) that I randomly selected from the past few years that are in a similar style to yours, so you can get an idea for how the OCR quality bar has shifted in the years since your previously-submitted mixes were posted. There has been a shift in expectations and unfortunately, I don't think this submission, as it is, meets the production/arrangement standards as they stand today.

Good luck!

NO