chrono trigger - stratification

melody

source (you don't need this):

what's up everyone, it's been a minute. wanted to drop in here with a rough wip before heading off to dinner. there's no melody yet.. i need to change these six-month old strings on my strat before recording anything.

your honest thoughts are welcomed!

- peter/melody

edit: link: stats.png

subbed! thanks to everyone for the feedback!

Edited by melody

Whaddup dude? :-) Long time, no see!

This is really excellent, the mixing is a bit rougher than I'm used to hearing from you (choir is pretty loud), but it's an awesome listen nonetheless. Always a pleasure to hear some new material from you. I'd love to hear a bit more deep lows from your pads, too - the whole mix sounds like the lows got scooped out.

Polish this up and you'll have a winner :-)

appreciate it dollmaster!

and good to hear from you wes, it's been a minute! the pleasure is all mine. the mix does seem to be noticeably lacking in low-mid.

spent the past few hours recording the guitar part and i'll probably be spending the next week or so continuing to polish.

please keep the feedback coming! op updated!

that guitar playing and tone.......

easily standing above most oc remix guitar stuff i have heard. ton of soul.

i would like the kick to have more...kick! in it. some 50 hz boost will do ya. also maybe boost some 60-100 on your bass to bring it out more.

sounds great. you are able to solo without it sounding like soloing, it sounds like MUSIC, and that is a skill most guitarists (or musicians even) lack.

nice job

very much appreciate the kind words brother.

can totally dig making the kick thump harder. does anyone else feel the same regarding the soft kick? i tend to overcompensate these days after getting blasted on many previous occasions for just the opposite, haha.

i was confronted with being that guy in the last part of your comment in early 2008 and took my first sabbatical from guitar. i had an average knowledge of the guitar but it was really at the expense of, or continuing at my pace, going to be at the expense of, a more holistic understanding of music (the compositional/production, and experiential sides). and i'm certainly guilty of still being that guy, but i've made a conscious effort to try not to be.

sixto, house, and snapple.. now those guys are killer players.

Yeah, I agree, the kick is a little light on the low end thump. In contrast, the lead guitar at 0:37 hits a low note that shows it has lower frequencies than about 300Hz, so it might clash with the bass occasionally but I can't check at the moment. The bass instrument is a little quiet as well (maybe about 1.2 dB), but I wouldn't say for sure whether it's hollow or not since I can't check yet.

Yeahhhhh, there we go. That kick and bass are punching through! This is really coming along! Definitely a fresh take, unique, and with plenty of flair to it. Just a note, the bass instrument seems to have its lowest frequency at 50 Hz or so (not that there's anything wrong with that).

That plucky arp at 0:30 seems rather quiet; I think the pad might be covering it up. The arp that plays the intro arpeggiated source hook (from the first few seconds) there seems to be washy in reverb; I can kinda hear it, but these headphones are my driest. I would try automating the wet mix down some for the parts where it's hard to hear, and raise its volume in general. Also, I seem to be hearing a piano in the background too... sorta.

Everything sounds great arrangement-wise IMO. I just think the reverb could be toned down to hear things more distinctly, and some arp levels can be raised (and consequently your lead guitar) to hear everything at a normal volume. Mostly the reverb. No worries though, I used to have lots of trouble with using too much reverb.

Oh wow, I'm really loving this. I've always been a big fan of your music and this certainly doesn't disappoint. I'm listening on a pair of subpar earphones so I can't really comment on production, but it's sounding really good to me! Nice job!

Also, I clicked this thread link from the front page thinking "a song title that is all lowercase, I bet this is a melody thread". :razz:

haha, it's good to hear from you matt! literally laughed out loud, guilty as charged. belated congrats on temporal duality as well man! i used to sit at my computer replaying the intro video over and over as a kid. very much appreciate the kind words, be well!

Thanks Peter, I appreciate it! It's good to hear some new stuff from you. I've been eagerly awaiting your next original release, as I really loved Singularity. If I ever direct another OCR album project here, I'll need to convince you to do a track for it ;-)

On topic: I listened to this track on my nice quality studio speakers finally, and oh yeah, I'm still digging this :) I really love the guitar playing too. It's cool to hear you getting back into that and incorporating it in this track. Well done!

• 11 months later...