Aquaria-Prayer for the Azure Waters

Garpocalypse

Hey everyone,

Here is an updated version of the remix I subbed for the OCR Holiday Album V8. It is based off of one of my favorite sources from one of my favorite VG OST's. (Still hoping for a sequel!)

Source:

Remix: https://soundcloud.com/garpocalypse/aquaria-prayer-for-the-azure-waters

Edited by XPRTNovice
I mod reviewed the heck out of this.

I think it's an inviting arrangement. It's kind of conservative seeing how the original has a similar, watery, ambient feel, and you also have water, a flute, and a similar bass sound, but I think the guitar helps to personalize it some more since it covers pretty much the whole length of the remix.

The main thing I would take another look at is the timing and volume on your guitar playing. Here are the timestamps where I find the guitar to be too late on the beat (only one or two strums at a time):

0:33, 0:37, 0:48, 2:22, 2:28, 3:01, 3:10, 3:15, 3:21

And here is where I thought it was too loud (for only about a second at the first timestamp):

1:07, 2:04 - 2:55

Also, the soundscape as a whole sounds rather washy, even for an organic, ambient remix like this. It starts being like that at 1:02 when that pad comes in; I think it'd help if you scooped the mids a bit (or a bit more) to let the flute or guitar lead come through. That way the lead doesn't have to be so loud, and it'll be easier to hear the bells in the background. ;-) Maybe slightly lower the reverb on everything, too, or raise the low cut (if possible) on the reverb so less low end is being reverberated, and so the bass can be better heard. I think it's most noticeable that the bass is hiding at 1:33 - 2:00.

Great arrangement! I'd say, the mixing is the main thing to look into.

Edited by timaeus222

• 1 month later...

[REVIEW OF THE MOD KIND]

Neat source choice. Never heard of this game.

I don't really have a lot of feedback at particular points, because the piece is very well put together. Your transitions are smooth, and I like the vibe a lot. The general mixing is very good. However, there are a couple of things that go on throughout:

- I think the bass could use a subtle rolloff around 80hz...I get a lot of sort of whooommm coming out of my monitors.

- Guitar melody could be stronger and more in front. Stylistically, I might consider adding some verb/delay to it, but that's a pure style choice.

- String pads are too in my face, I think. the whole balance of the piece would be more peaceful and flowy if you let the pads do what they were supposed to do (support) rather than be so out in front.

I'll be completely honest, I think that's it. It sounds great!

[END OF MODILY MOD]

Aw yeah, I need to go back to this game.

The bass sounds a bit even with the repeated notes, like it lacked round-robins. I like the "insistence" of the bass though, the repeating figure is great about midway in the piece.

I really agree with the previous comments about the lateness of some guitar strums, and the pad hogging the space in the mix at points. The former sounds needlessly sloppy and the latter is obscuring the leading elements of the arrangement.

I like how the arrangement seems to sort of evolve subtly in the feel and intensity. Good work!