Chrono Trigger - Undersea Palace (metal arrangement)

RichaadEB

I'm still trying to figure out how to compress leads and bass properly without completely murdering them in the mix. Really tried to hit an Angel Vivaldi-ish tone with this one; feedback and Critique very much appreciated.

Listen

I know Chrono Trigger covers/remixes are done to death, but that's not unwarranted. Hope someone enjoys it.

Leads shouldn't need to be compressed a lot. The distortion already balances the overall level of all the notes because it adds a lot of volume to everything.. What compression does on distortion guitar is just smooth it out so any slightly less quiet notes (and noises) come up, making everything really in your face. it's not something you really hear unless you can A/B it and are listening for it.

for bass compression you will hear more of a difference as there is a lot more variation (between bottom string and the other 3 strings volume). once you get the volume pretty close for the notes, then you want to mess with the attack and release to make sure the bass is really punchy and the notes are accented in time with the music. i don't really hear this here, it's a little punchy but not as much as it could be. try adjusting your release so the compressor lets off after every eighth note, and the attack should be adjusted so you hear that Punchiness of the transient followed by the slightly quieter compressed signal.

the actual song is fucking bomb though. everything you want in an undersea palace metal mix. and the mixing isn't that bad either.

also once you are done tweaking the mix PLEASE submit this :)

Edited by Michael_Lochlann
Eclaireification

It sound good to me, maybe too loud and is a bit hard to hear each instrument by it's own, but the essence of the song is there and sounds good.

I know Chrono Trigger covers/remixes are done to death, but that's not unwarranted. Hope someone enjoys it.

I'm planning to do some day one remix of Chrono Trigger too so, I think it doesn't matter that they're done to death as long as you can bring something new or you just want to make it. :wink:

the actual song is fucking bomb though. everything you want in an undersea palace metal mix. and the mixing isn't that bad either.

also once you are done tweaking the mix PLEASE submit this :)

Thank you for the feedback, I'll work with your suggestions and might even submit it :)