*NO* Metroid Prime 2 'Tyrant on Four Legs' *RESUB*

djpretzel

email sub file Tyrant on Four Legs.mp3

LT Edit - Original Decision: http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=82347

Remixer Name: Creative ImPulse

Email: egobrainman@yahoo.com

Game Remixed: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Song Remixed: Quadraxis Theme

Additional Information: System - Gamecube; Licensed by Nintendo; Produced by Retro Studios;

Comments: I had made a remix of this theme before, (and failed at getting it submitted) but I knew it needed to be better. I decided to go for adding more strings than originally used, use compressors to ensure that the sounds both a) didn't drown out each other, and B) the song didn't create immense feedback and distortion from just plain bad sequencing. As for inspiration, I wanted to retain the electronic feel to the compositions of the Metroid Prime soundtracks, yet add touches of my own favorite genres. The bridge section, before leading into the high augmented chords, with the guitars and the drums and the strings and the music, was completely on my own accord (allowing me to truly digress from just a simple arrangement). That particular section is inspired by my love for the music of Cirque du Soleil, and it really helped with the transitions I came up with later. Another thing to note: I've noticed that, in the Metroid Prime series, much of the music that Kenji Yamamoto wrote was either meant for background ambience, or just simple progressions and loopings. The fact that he mostly uses chords for his boss themes makes it harder for me, because I knew that I'd be in trouble with just chord progressions; it just doesn't move the song forward. Thus, I wrote a melody line to accompany it. Even with all of the changes, I feel I managed to retain the Metroid feel, with the ambience in the introduction and the random mechanical noises that really make you think you're in Sanctuary Fortress. Imagine this song is an entire soundtrack to the process of getting all three Dark Keys, fighting Quadraxis, and receiving the Annihilator Beam. I know I do.

Good percussion set up. Waiting for it to build into something. So far most of this has been just percussion and drums with some creepy ambience in the background. Theme builds in from 1:45 with some cool and creepy strings. The atmosphere behind this is very well produced, allows you to turn it up and get the full atmosphere.

Not sure I'm totally feeling those ahh samples used around 3:00. The samples used in the melody tend to sound kind of basic for the soundscape you've set up. The strings in particular sound piercing and out of place, very MIDI.

I'm liking the atmosphere you've set up, but the sample choices are really killing this piece for me. With some darker and thicker samples this probably could've been a lot cooler. Even the drums are sounded too basic and light for the sound of the mix. The arrangement is very good and thoroughly enjoyable. I'm getting an impending destruction of the world feel from this mix.

Take this one back to the board and try to get some more realistic samples to match the realistic percussion and atmosphere you have in the background. This piece could be epic if it had that little extra attention to detail.

Compared to this source, this piece is a lot more aggressive and energetic, but it needs more attention to detail in order to pull it off properly.

Also, nice job on making a 7:35 mix sound refreshingly unique and unrepetative for the majority of the mix.

I'm going to have to NO this one, just because of the samples. Please find the time to try to address those issues, because this song shows a lot of promise.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes OST - 52 "VS Quadraxis (Long)"

No wonder this sounds so lossy, you encoded at 96kbps. And this is after he encoded at 112kbps last time. You need to go VBR at least to try and mitigate the loss. I'm still of the same mind with many of the issues I had when I heard the older version months ago, but this was improved a fair deal.

Sample quality is still fairly bleh, although the reverb used here on some of the parts at least tries to mask the thinness of the samples. Still, much of the sequencing sounds really rigid.

Really cool drums at 1:12-1:19, nice writing bro. Source tune finally kicks in pretty overtly at 2:32. I wasn't really feeling the atmosphere here like TO did. I felt it sounded rather cheap. TO pointed out to me that the drums didn't have the huge reverb that nearly everything else had, but I thought there was too much of a disparity with the effects on some sounds vs. others. The drumkit and claps sounded REALLY thin and and could have used some selective reverb, whereas the vox, strings and bell didn't need nearly the amount of reverb they had. You gotta more selectively apply your effects.

Though some of the instrumentation continued to sound thin and low-quality/MIDI-grade, I did like the effort to switch up the instrumentation style at 3:52, which was an admirable idea. The string writing was pretty solid, and the more involved parts of the drumwork stood out well. The textures aren't quite hot (the washed out low vox at 5:46 was a definite low point), but didn't sound terrible. As you continue to learn more and get a better ear for things, you have the potential to come up with some really good ideas.

Section at 6:17 rehashes 2:47's section only with some subtle supporting instrumentation added underneath. You really should try to refrain from cutting and pasting previous sections wholesale. Tweak the pervious patterns and instrumentation more substantially so that you have something that's more somewhat different and/or evolved from the prior material.

Ending section at 7:10 was a decent idea but the lead there almost sounded too "happy" to work write there. Something a bit more sinister would work better.

Anyway, this still needs some work, but you're headed in the right direction. Perhaps keep working on this, perhaps not. Honestly, I don't think you'd be able to get this at an acceptable level with your current experience, but you sincerely show a lot of promise, and I look forward to seeing your work become more sophisticated in the future. Keep at it in the community.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

96 is not enough kilobytes per second.

aside from that, the arrangement seems jittery. the momentum frequently dies before it can really get going. The second half of the mix seems to suffer from a different problem..that being repetition and constant dynamics. just gets tedius after 4 minutes.

NO