*NO* Final Fantasy 'Prelude Eternity'

djpretzel

There Have been changes since my first e-mail. Googlepages did not accept the filenames. The new filepaths are listed below:

Link to my remix:

Link to original from OST (Piano):

Link to original from OST (Complete):

I apologize for the mistake.

Eitan-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low rates.

Contact Info:

Remixer name- Eitan

Real Name- Eitan Romanoff

E-mail Address- freshh2o45@yahoo.com

Website- freshh2o45.googlepages.com

Remix Info:

Games Remixed- "Final Fantasy" (All), "Final Fantasy X-2"

Songs Remixed- "Prelude", "Eternity ~Memory of Lightwaves~"

Link to my remix: freshh2o45.googlepages.com/PreludeClassicEternity~LightWaves~.mp3

Link to original from OST (Piano): freshh2o45.googlepages.com/12-Eternity~MemoryofLightwaves~.mp3

Link to original from OST (Complete): freshh2o45.googlepages.com/01-Eternity~MemoryofLightwaves~.mp3

Where were the songs used: Opening sections of Final Fantasy, and Final Fantasy X-2, respectively.

My own comments:

Okay, this may be somewhat long, but I feel important to describe how I came about this project.

To start, I will admit that this may not strictly follow your guidelines. I didn't take the ACTUAL game music, but merely re-wrote a base line (by ear) and then symphonized the song. The song sounds VERY similar to the actual music, but it has my own twist of creation in it. Here were my steps to creating the song:

1) Got the Game FFX-2 and FF1. Listened to the song and found free, re-created midi formats to put on my ipod.

2) Listen until I nearly got sick of the song and memorized most of it.

3) Re-compose using a program called Reason. In reason, a layer based program, I had separate instruments and layers for each song in the mix.

Prelude: 1x Harp, 3x String (different patches), 2x Flute (different patches). By patch, I mean one midi instrument sound. All music was played by me onto a keyboard into reason. Touch-ups in Reason include: 1) Reverb buffer that makes it sound softer. 2) Reverb specifically modded to sound like a stage. 3) Input Panning for the Harp. Notice how the sound slightly alters speakers as it goes up and down the scales. Later automated.

Finally, in Pro-tools, I used another Reverb tool specifically made for Muffling the peak sounds and making the different instruments alter sound levels mid-song.

Eternity: This song is my favorite of the two. It includes: 2x Piano (One deeper, one lighter patch), 3x String patches (all different), 2x Flute patches (different). I also used the same reverb tools, but no panning was added, and made it sound like a hallway performance. In Pro-tools, the same effects were used.

Time put into this mix: Approx 20 hours. Maybe more?

Other tid-bits? I hope this is accepted, and I sure had fun creating this. Enjoy it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1¢/min.

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/ff1.zip - Track 1

http://www.noderunner.net/~llin/psf/packs/FFX-2_psf2.rar - 101 "Eternity ~Memory of Lightwaves~"

Uh, this sounds nice and all, but isn't very heavily interpretive, and isn't expansive enough to pass on that level.

You just faded out the Prelude at 1:26 then faded in Eternity at 1:30? C'mon, write a transition or something. You didn't even develop or interpret the Prelude theme before moving on.

Eternity is a least a bit different in terms of the instrumentation style, but the composition is basically the same.

If you don't mean to interpret the material greatly, it has to be very creatively expanded, which this isn't. The song just cut out abruptly at 3:56, which may have just been a foul-up with my download, but nonetheless, I've really heard all there is to hear.

Most of the arrangement deals with Eternity. Why even bother tacking on the Prelude like that for barely a minute? Not gonna say much else.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a lot to add here. The arrangement is extraordinarily simplistic, and the entire first part w/ the prelude is very boring. There are only a handful of instruments and no interesting voicings at all. To make matters worse you even got one of the chords wrong in the progression (you had an Ab major instead of an Ab major 7, which does make a pretty big difference, especially considering you're doing a straight-up cover). There is no transition to speak of to the second part of the song, which itself is not rearranged and equally uninteresting in its texture. It is very important that you do more to vary the melody + harmony of the songs you are remixing. Don't be afraid to change the key or tempo, change rhythms, or even add your own original chords or melodies, provided they fit in.

I strongly suggest listening to recently posted remixes with a much more discerning ear, as well as making use of our Works in Progress and ReMixing forums. This mix is not necessarily bad, especially for an early effort. It displays some basic proficiency, but you will need a lot more than that to pass our standards. Keep working at it - and don't forget to have fun.

NO