Remixers needed for live performance inquire within (pro bono)

YoshiBlade

Sooo....hot off the line my school is doing a live artist's week presented by Amnesty International at LCC and I need 2 other DJs spinning their own VGM remixes. Right off the bat, this is purely for exposure, I cannot officially pay anyone cash for a performance, this is non-profit for awareness towards human right's issues around the world, but if you're close to the location

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lake+County,+OH/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x88319f037fb911f7:0x5042dd1b32524ce?sa=X&ei=she_VKuLE4i1ggTEmIT4Aw&ved=0CHkQ8gEwCg,

This is in northeast Ohio ( see thread http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48309 ) If you're from Ohio it makes it easier on me, this is intended to be a local artist event, but I can negotiate the definition of local( the closer, the better). We are aiming for Friday April 10th, slots open 5pm-10pm, 20min sets. I'm trying to secure an 8pm set so thats; Me 20min, DJ1-20min DJ2-20min= 1 hour and if you want to have a little fun, while getting a little public exposure, come on and join me. Any questions PM or just reply and I'll get back ASAP. The faster, the better, slots are going to fill fast!!!

ps DJ is just a moniker. Any genre will suffice, so long as it's VGM remix-ish

Edited by YoshiBlade

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all! Kind of a dead thread, but I still wanted to update everyone who's reading this how it's going. I think I found a local student who is willing to do a DJ throwdown of sorts, good guy I'll get back when it's official. Very excited I'm going to be on stage in front of anywhere between 100 and 300+ people, my first big public performance all for a good cause! So I'm probably going to be bugging everyone over in the Workshop about what to play and how to maximize my sound, so I apologize in advance, for any redundant posts on what sounds good, what doesn't and what would make a great setlist and everything in-between ...I just wanted to share some of the posters I made, soooooo what do ya think? Any thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Any advice about concert performance, promotion and all that goes with it is greatly appreciated!

mega%2Bblast.png

Final%2Bproduct%2B.png

powerglove%2Brockon.png

proff%2Boak.png

Edited by YoshiBlade

The issue with these posters is that they're walls of text. Nobody is going to stop and sit there and read line by line what you're writing, you know?

This is an example of what a DJ event poster typically looks like. Small little phrases, and essential information. Don't write speeches on your posters, because it guarantees that nobody will read em. The general rule of thumb is that a poster is not something you read. It's something you look at.

BENVA.jpg

For instance, for your MGS poster, use only that first transmission, make it bigger, and put it at the bottom of the poster, saying in BIG text "Snake, your target location is Lakeland Community College, at the Athletic Center. Be there at 2000 hours (or 8PM)." For the rest of the poster, forget the MGS transmissions. Just have big text saying stuff like "FREE VGM CONCERT" "DJ YOSHIBLADE", maybe on the side, just a line broken list saying "NES, Gameboy, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Genesis, Dreamcast... and more!" Use your Power Glove picture, maybe various other pictures of popular game characters to fill in the space. One solid poster will outclass a bunch of not so solid ones, and makes it easier to spread the word on social media and stuff, too, since there's only one image to be passed around.

Edited by Neblix

So, If it doesn't offend I'd like to keep everyone updated on the concert situation and as always ask for any feedback, tips, thoughts, advice and what ever you'd like to add. Ok so we're (I'm) off and moving, I found 2 EDM artists who projected a slight interest in remixing at least 1-2 VGM tracks so we can form a cohesive sub-concert. Each of us is looking at about 25 min, including set up time, a paltry amount, but for me I just fire up my laptop and get cracking, so it's not too bad, ok maybe the sound check too, but I'm hoping to have everything ready to launch...no hitches. I don't yet know the intricacies of DJing, and TBH I'm starting to feel the icy hand of apprehension squeeze. I've spent so long trying to just keep writing tracks, it never occurred to me how will I make a proper connection between the songs? Well my thoughts are use my Buffer Repeater and Tempo automation I have in Reason, to make the transitions and to put all the tracks into wave files, in Reason, before hand, then just do my set while running Reason...I have not yet finalized my set list, but well....that's my thought on that matter...Use Reason, Each song as a Wav (or audio recording), use the effects in Reason to transition from one song to another....Yeah, I'm not too proud of the press and play DJ, but seeing as this may be the first time a VGM remix set ( set, not concert or club event, or even house party{ at lest as far as I can find}) to be performed in NE Ohio, Ever step is a small victory...Hmmm any thoughts? So now it gets even stickier...The people booking the bands and the people setting up the venue are...well...I sense tension...I'll just leave it at that...I hope this whole project doesn't snap, due to friction, I'm always asking the 2 parties if there is anything I can do to help, set up, break down, door man, clean up whatever they need. This is....this is the chance to see a vision brought to life, a VGM Remix event, I know not many people care but, this is Big to me. It feels like, well look at the top of a mountain, now look half way up and say, "if I can get there...it....it's moving upwards, something others can see and that there is a possibility, even if Im not at the top, just plant a flag as high as you got and let it be a marker for others, that says," Don't stop!! Someone once made it this far! YOU! Go FURTHER!. " Stage looks nice, bout 4 ft off the ground, pulls out so you're projected into the crowd a bit, nice. Ok, so here the poster i've got thus far...no times yet, and still waiting for the final billing and I'm still not sure where to put the incidentals "Free open to the public" " Friday April 10th"....What do you think? PS thanks for reading through my ravings, you're a trooper...now you can be my friend :lol:

rainbow%2Broad%2Bsonic%2Bpoke%2Blink%2Bturt%2B0%2BJam.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ups and Down! So I'll be quick on this one...They Amenesty Club pulled out of the concert and we lost a big sponsor :( ...however as a credit to our promoter, he bumped us up an hour earlier to save on staffing costs and dropped off the number of bands to save on time, and brought this one back on line :). So here's my dilemma, Should I try and put my MP3 or wav files in Reason and use that to basically just press play and try my best to Hype everyone up, while the Reason File just play the audio files with the pre-done transitions or use DJ mixing software. If I use Reason, it could take a crap on me so I thought "why not get a back up" which would be the Mixing software, I would then have to be a little more involved, more chance I could screw it up, but Reason can be hinky at time and I'd like both just in case, one as a backup to the other. So can someone direct me in a cheap or free, easy to use mixing software, just to spin the songs.

One more thing, as someone who's never done this before...and at the risk of exposing my self as a complete greenhorn...Do I just run my audio out with my 1/8 audio jack to RCA cord and then run that to the mixing board? Should I use my focusrite scarlett 2i2 's output RCA cables...wow now that I type it's starting to sink in how much there is that needs to go into this...so I guess if I could say one word HEEEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!! Any useful information, no matter how esoteric, is absolutely needed and appreciated. Thank You for the time and consideration!!!

Yeah I read the posters, seems cool. I don't think you really need to simplify your poster, but it wouldn't hurt. The Zelda one isn't much better than yours, it's still a wall of text, just in unnatural 2-3 word phrases.

Every poster session participant in the world just vomited

Edited by Neblix

Every poster session participant in the world just vomited

Well...Yeah the Briggs poster certainly had a a lot of work put into it, but I've come to terms with the fact YOSHIBLADE no matter how big on a poster, is not going to attract much attention or even VGM ( I really don't think a sizable portion of passersby know what VGM stands for, sadly) ...However Megaman or the familiar screen of a Pokemon battle will grab people's attention, once I have their attention I can then explain who I am and what I'm doing, seeking out new individuals who may not be aware how large the Remixing community is. More so, If I can get the person to crack a smile, that is its own reward...but you were right I like the rainbow road a lot, thanks for the inspiration!