djpretzel

ReMixer: DJ Skratch 'n' Sniff

Name: Dylan Napier

Email: dj.skratch.n.sniff@gmail.com

Game: Super Mario World

Song ReMixed: Koopa Kids and Valley of Bowser

ReMix Title: Wendy's a Bitch and Iggy's High on Pop Rocks

Mix Location:

This is the third time I've submitted a song to OC and I've no doubt that this one will get rejected as well. I just wanted to see what y'all, particularly Larry, have to say about it. This mix is actually for OL's Sooper Mareo Wurld project. It's kooky, changes often and could at least be called a guilty pleasure... I hope.

Enjoy, at your own risk

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=smw - "Koopa Junior BGM" (smw-20.spc)

Who cares what I think about it? Oh, wait...

Too underdeveloped. Yeesh that first synth at :02 hurts me with its defautly-ness. Seems like you're going for the "nigga crazy" approach, where you have to be an idiot savant to get this. Kinda like Shna's stuff, only this doesn't have much sophistication, especially in the supporting instrumentation. Sounds like an adapted MIDI rip to me most of the way.

Texture was always pretty thin and things felt pretty sparse, but there were some shining moments in there. 1:06-1:14 had some Shna-ish moments in there where you had some decent textures going with these low-quality samples. Same with 1:28-1:58.

If you learn how to fill out the soundfield, get more creative with your synth design and provide more direction and flow to the arrangement, you'd be in better shape. Right now, this mostly sounds like an undeveloped, incohesive mess.

[reads submission letter in full]

Oh, it's for OverLooked? icon_lol.gif Well, good job then.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Uh oh.. meant for OLR? :o

Anyway, I agree with Vig that there are some cool sounds involved here. However, some of them are a little abrasive (high freq-wise) and really they're not put together in a meaningful way for most of this. If a little more time was put into... organizing the chaos, I suppose, I think this might have a good shot at passing, actually. It is not much different than the sort of stuff Shnabubula does, as Larry said, just the arrangement is not nearly as complex. Why not put some more time into that aspect and resubmit? I'd like to hear what you can do.

NO