*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Sara's Sunlight'

djpretzel

email sub file sara's sunlight.mp3

its my first submission and if it needs work don't hesitate to tell me i am open to any advice from you guys i wrote this song with just a mouse and typing keyboard so the next time i'll be able to add better piano and basslines when i can use a midi controler and soundfonts

i wrote the song frooty loops it took 10 hrs or so to write

the name i'll go by is zerolives if that is possible

my email address you should already have from this and i don't have a website i just write music to relive stress

sorry for the grammar and spelling don't strain your brain to hard the song is based off of two small C T songs: morning sunlight and sara's theme (thats what they are called on my ost anyway) even if it doesn't make the kut let me know what to work on please write back - Matthew L. Knighten(real name)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you Yahoo!?

Get on board. You're invited to try the new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ct.rsn - "Sara's Theme" (ct-3-06.spc)

Not bad for a first sub. Cool opening, though the strings at :06 sounded too synthetic, and the note-to-note movement for the bass at :05 also sounded very rigid. Decent stuff though altering the rhythm of the source tune. Weak to have that stock drumloop in there from :23-:34.

Anyway, things kicked in at :34, though the melody was very sparse. I liked the percussion instrumentation there, you need to flesh out the melodic content more. Cool changeup at :58, especially the piano, though the string-like stuff and vox had those rigid note movements again. The beats coming in at 1:10 are alright, but don't quite gel with the rest of the instrumentation; may need some more processing or it may merely be my personal preference.

Halfway through, the instrumentation continues constantly changes up, but I'm otherwise not getting much sense of direction in the piece.

Vox returns at 1:34 with those ultra-jumpy notes movements. Then at 1:57 you have some very fake-sounding bowed and plucked strings at center stage. You need to look into how to humanize the performance of those instruments so they sound more natural. The bowed strings are way too rigid-sounding and dry for being so upfront; use some effects on them so they don't sound pasted on top of the rest of the music.

Decent stuff so far, and like I said pretty cool for a first mix made in only a few hours, but you gotta go for more nuanced/sophisticated production on your sounds, and present more structure to the arrangement. For arranging such a small piece of the source tune, you managed to do some decent work with it; expand the ideas further but take care to let the composition flow with more direction. Read up on the ReMixing forum, post your in-progress work in the Works forum for comments from fans, and keep at it in the community.

NO

Agree that this is a good first shot. there's a lot going for this track. The atmosphere is really cool. The instruments are interesting. The dynamics are also well done.

it's generally a bit sloppy though..the strings seem bare. The delayed percussion instrument...would sound better if the delay were more split in the stereo field.

some of the instruments are just better mixed than others. the other problem is that it cuts off...the mix could afford to be a few minutes longer.

NO

There's some creative stuff here in terms of instrument choices and sound design/effects usage. I'd much rather hear something like this that's a little too messy or chaotic, than something that's too conservative and simplistic. Congratulations on being interpretive. Now, in terms of things you might want to take another look at, I would start with the harmonies you have going on. The main schala riff at times just doesn't really fit with the chords you have in the background in the pad parts, for example, and noticeably clashes. Don't be afraid to rewrite the riff as necessary to fit the new chords. When the morning theme comes in, that too clashes a little bit. 2:21 in particular sounds awkward.

Your drums are very good overall. Highly creative. However, I think at times they are perhaps overly spastic. It's ok to go nuts with panning, slicing, and effects for some of the time but generally it's not a bad idea to have a central groove that's a bit more 'stable' and use that to go off into new areas. Something like 1:10, but perhaps a little more prominent. Production-wise you could probably beef up your kicks more, make the snare hits a little more wet (slight reverb will do it), and tone down the higher frequencies on the hats, but this is generally nitpicking.

I want to emphasize that this is a very strong first submission. You have a lot of good ideas, and the overall concept is solid. Just work on fleshing out some of the issues we've mentioned and I think you'll have a good shot at getting this mix passed.

NO