Your email address

Your website: Garpocalypse.blogspot.com

Forum ID 31287

Name of game(s) arranged

Mega Man 7-Shademan

Mega Man 10-Ballade

Name of arrangement

The Underwater Adventures of Shadedog

This was my second entry for the 2013's WCRG. I absolutely love the soundtrack to Aquaria and after playing it a little while one night I thought it would be fun to try to adapt the Shademan theme to have a more watery feel to it.

Source Breakdown:

00:24-01:27 Shademan

01:28-01:49 Ballade

01:50-02:10 Shademan

02:11-02:53 Ballade

02:53-03:35 Variation on Shademan

03:35-03:58 Ballade

03:59-04:19 Shademan

04:19-04:40 Ballade

04:40-End Shademan

Sources:

Edited by Palpable
closed

You've turned these two themes into a chill, relaxing and cohesive arrangement. Unfortunately it ends up being almost too chill... once you've established the drum groove, bassline and the choir pad backing, none of them changes much at all throughout the remainder of the track, making it sound pretty repetitive. The track sits in one gear the whole time. The lead sounds are pretty underwhelming. I recommend adding more drum variation, change the pad sound at some point, and doing something a bit more interesting with your leads. Also, the pad is loud and takes up quite a bit of frequency space, you would do well to reduce some of the mids and also notch the pad at the frequency where your leads play prominently.

NO (resubmit)

I can pretty much 100% cosign with Kristina on this. Solid arrangement and lots of unique sounds floating around, but the production and level of variation throughout the track is not where it needs to be.

Right from the onset, most of your samples sound very low-quality - the piano and flute lead are probably the most notable examples, but those sounds just aren't cutting it in terms of realism. It sounds like you did a bit of work to mask the piano with reverb and EQ, but I honestly feel that sample needs to be replaced with something less tinny.

I understand that you were going for a chillout vibe and probably wanted to avoid a beat that was too busy, but at the same time I think you didn't do enough to make the drum work engaging and varied throughout the track - you've got a lot of room to experiment with different rhythms and keep things fresh, especially for a 5 minute track.

Lots of room for improvement but I do appreciate the attempt, this is something different than I'm used to hearing from you, so kudos for that! Keep at it and continue improving your production/arrangement skills, you've got some solid components in place already but just need to take the sound design and variation to the next level for this to be a pass.

NO

• 4 weeks later...