*NO* Metroid 'Kraid's Layers'

Emunator

Interesting ideas here and some cool sounds used. I really like the panning synth but I wish it didn't play throughout the entire track. The overall mixing is a bit muddy with reverbs overlapping. My bigger issue though is that this arrangement is basically two playthroughs of the same writing, except that the intro is slowed down and when that pattern repeats verbatim at 1:33 it is at tempo. The second playthrough of the theme from 1:49-2:59 seems the same writing-wise as 0:37-1:33 but with a different lead sound used. In the second iteration, the sampled guitar is rigid and stiffly sequenced. The lead writing in general seems verbatim to the source. Also there are some very harsh resonances from 1:26-1:33.

So to summarize, the arrangement needs to be a little more than two very similar playthroughs of the same writing, the guitar or plucked instrument needs to be better humanized (or replaced), and the mixing needs to be cleaned up.

NO (resubmit)

You have some really cool sound design at play here, but ultimately I feel like the track never develops much past that. There's not much in the arrangement/melody to differentiate this from the source, and the arrangement itself ends up being very repetitive. Outside of the sound design and instrument upgrades, I'm not hearing much you in this track. The structure is very much by-the-books without much of a cooldown/outro, as well.

I like the sounds you're working with for the most part (the guitar sequencing is a lot more noticeably stiff at the end when it's exposed) but you would need to revisit this with a more interpretive approach to the arrangement in order to pass.

NO

Co-signed with Chimpa and Emu. I liked the wide, varied panning of the notes to start, and I'm surprised no one's ever used this idea before.

That said, melodically, there's not too much development of Kraid theme, even though there was an attempt to personalize the sound. But kept at the same tempo and same overall mood, there wasn't enough of a difference in this arrangement compared to the original track.

The melody having a lot of mud in it was a production dealbreak as well. Good initial concept, Scott, but the theme needs much more interpretation/variation compared to the original, and the track needs clearer, more balanced mixing.

NO