OCR03293 - *YES* Akumajo Dracula X: Rondo of Blood 'Mechanical Salvation' *PROJECT* *RESUB*

Chimpazilla

previous decision

PROJECT: For Vampire Variations 2

This is for the planned VV2 reissue on OCR.

Link to previous judgement: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47606

Now with a lot less mixing & arrangement clutter!

- Guitar re-EQ:d for meatier sound & better presence (was horribly high-passed)

- Organ sound tweaked & re-EQ'd (was doubled by a choir sound & horribly high-passed), some writing adjustments

- Much of the drumming reduced & tweaked, not everything is playing everything all the time

- Bass similarly somewhat simplified (and a bit of bass-boost re-EQ)

- The "background guitar" sound tweaked, it's higher in the mix & alternates between fuzz & clean chorus sound (though the latter is very much a background thing)

- Drums take a little break at a couple of occasions

- Bass drum had a noticeable tone that was off-key

Thanks for the detailed feedback, it was very useful! Can't say I turned the guitar down as suggested, the opposite in fact, but the important thing is that everything should now have it's place in the mix & the arrangement of each instrument also leaves room for other instruments each in their time. Hopefully the source is more prominent (and not less) thanks to the tweaked mixing. The source usage itself wasn't changed. Finally thanks to Pleiade, for providing similar critique as the judges & checking out the new mix.

Previous sub letter also applies. I notice that the resub process is stretching the timeline for being done with this piece closer to the mentioned usual two-and-a-half years.

cheers,

--Eino

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOlYyBwQ6qI

As far as I can tell, all the issues have been addressed. I'll be honest, I can't remember the original version, how it sounded, but I read my vote and it must have been so very cluttered. I think it sounds great now, leads are clear, backing elements are fitting in where they should be. This is sounding good to me! Nice work!

YES

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't judge the original version, but this one's solid. I think the balance still isn't great and that the lead and backing guitars kind of occupy the same space; this is still somewhat busy/cluttered, but the parts are separated well enough, so ultimately there's no dealbreaker.

Unlike Nutritious, I would have counted :13-:33 as source, and the context of those two note pieces matters when comparing it to the source. I think he justified his opinion on it, I just felt otherwise re: counting it when I checked it.

Source usage checks out markedly above 50% overt usage for me, and this was a really sweet take on a very somber, pensive source. Great energy and definitely not a take I would have ever expected. Nice work from Eino and Calum!

YES

As Larry would say, this didn't set my world on fire, but I can appreciate an arrangement that is over the bar. I wanted things to get a little bigger, move out of the well-done first gear to second gear. The drums had some interesting rhythms, but I wanted a meatier change at some section. The lead guitar also could have used some FX to make it sound wider and bigger. Still, solid effort, good arrangement, solidly above the bar.

YES