*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 'Gotta Go Fast'

Chimpazilla

ReMixer Name : Aloysius

Email Address :

Name of Game ReMixed : Sonic The Hedgehog

Name of Arrangement : Gotta Go Fast

Name of Individual Song : Green Hill Zone Theme

Hey, this is my first time submitting anything to the site, a friend recommended that I submit this song. It's a some what slow (150bpm) DnB remix of Green Hill Zone (Not that you ever get any of those), with a kinda chiptuney outro. I hope you like it!

-------------------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

I like the idea of the DnB mix but the writing here is quite repetitive, lots of copy/pasta. I like the heavy sidechaining and the lead sound especially. Good filtering and fx.

The drums sound like one loop. There are some sections with badly clashing notes like 0:40-0:52, with the note at 0:48 being the worst offender. This section appears again at 2:12-2:24, verbatim.

Good start on this track, but needs more writing and timbre variation and some harmonic cleanup to be passable.

NO (resubmit)

You did personalize the sounds well and make it your own with the DnB adaptation, Alex, but more melodic interpretation and variation was needed to put the level of interpretation over the top. Right now, you're repeating too many things. For example, the sidechaining was a cool idea to start, but it's a one-trick pony in terms of what you're doing with it, so it got pretty gimmicky and repetitive pretty fast.

I thought the balance of the parts was off. I'm all for intense beats, but they're too loud and it just makes the repetition of the pattern stand out more. The lead should have been a bit more prominent and the sidechaining effects shouldn't have been as loud.

Interesting purposeful lowering of the audio quality for the 8-bit style close.

Beyond that, I agreed with everything Chimpa said, though I wasn't as bothered by the clashing notes. She's right that the arrangement is underdeveloped and repetitive, and the beats drone on, so that's ultimately why this doesn't make it.

NO

Your off beat drums are just perfect IMO, but I wish they did a little more, as the pattern used is pretty much the same for the whole track duration. Your instrument choices are good, and while we've heard most of these countless times, they fit the mix. You also seem to have a fairly firm grasp of production, there isn't anything major there that I'd highlight.

My bro Larry here has a very good point as far as the side-chaining goes. It's a cool effect for sure, and I dug it for the first 5 seconds, but I think it was a little over-used across the track. I recommend saving that portion for later in the song and build up to it, as opposed to hitting us with it straight away. It made things feel repetitive even though you were changing other things up.

I also agree that the arrangement here could be stronger as far as adding in more you. You have some nice skills here, but I want to here more interpretation of the source tune.

NO (please resub)