*NO* Street Fighter 2 & Mega Man 2 'Go Home and Be a Metal Man'

Palpable

The song should be attached to this email.

Contact Info:

ReMixer Name: Vic_Almighty

Email Address:

OCR User ID: 53616

Submission Info:

Name of game(s) arranged: Street Fighter II: The World Warrior, Mega Man 2

Name of arrangement: Go Home and Be a Metal Man

Name of individual song(s) arranged: "Guile (U.S.A.)" and "Metal Man Stage"

Comments:

I put this arrangement together for a class I took this past semester (Spring 2014). I got the inspiration to make this while one day listening to both Guile's Theme and Metal Man's Theme. I just pictured them going really well together. And after transposing Metal Man's Theme to the relative minor of Guile's Theme, they really do! I hope others enjoy hearing this as much as I enjoyed making it.

DAW: FL Studio 11

Virtual Instruments: Nexus2 and FPC Sampler

------------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iof5pRAIZmw

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Wow, really creative mixing of these themes. Instead of the typical one theme followed by the other, both themes are in play for most of the song (and sounding good!). I wouldn't say the writing choices always worked - at 0:39 when the Metal Man melody starts to rise, it takes attention away from Guile, which is more the focus - but never sounded awful. At best, it worked really well, like at 0:55, when the Guile melody leads into a blend of the two bg parts. Overall, I liked the mixing, the beat and the vibe, but it's hard to call the sound choices anything but bland. Lots of basic synths being used here, albeit pretty well. The other big problem was that the second half didn't do anything to differentiate itself from the first half, apart from the ending. I think this is a good candidate for resubmission. Spend a little more time with automation and making more complex sounds, and definitely spice up that second half more. It's close to a pass.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

This is a really good integration of these two themes! The arrangement ideas are quite good. But Vinnie nailed it, the synth sounds are SO bland and generic, the sounds are really pulling this down for me. This sound palette is probably something that would have passed quite easily back in ye olden days, but right now it could really use a sound upgrade. I won't call the sounds themselves a dealbreaker, because they ARE used well, and mixed well, although I'd recommend you low cut your reverbs and delays because they do get a bit muddy in the low end.

The dealbreaker for me is that 2:30-3:27 is an exact copy/pasta of 0:34-1:31. If I can layer these two sections together and they are identical, there's a problem. The track needs to have some writing variations in the second half, and some instrumentation changes, drumming variations and added effects wouldn't hurt as well.

NO (resubmit)

Agreed with Palpable and Chimpazilla's overall criticisms. The arrangement's creative and the theme interplay definitely works well, Victor.

A super bland saw was used for the Guile theme at and Metal Man at 1:31, and this just had overall bland synth design and thin, plodding beats. Even if you somehow changed the weak leads, you also have to make sure the overall texture isn't too empty. The copy-pasta layout of 2:30-3:37 was a huge knock against it as well.

Good ending though, but don't get lazy on the main substance. Hit the Workshop forums so you can learn FL Studio more. You'll need to improve your sound design and allow it to compliment (rather than hurt) your arrangement.

NO