OCR03142 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'A Stormy Affair' *RESUB*

Chimpazilla

previous decision

remixers: Chimpazilla and anterroir
name of arrangement: 'A Stormy Affair'
game remixed: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
source tunes: Song of Storms, Zelda's Lullaby

Hey guys! This track is a collab that David (anterroir) and I wrote and submitted in 2011. I had only been doing music for about six months at the time. I learned so much from David during this track, I owe him so much. The track was rejected for a very good reason, no leads in the first half. Oops!

I always loved this arrangement and I felt like it needed to be finished! The solos have been rewritten and/or improved, and I mixed it better and mastered it in Cubase. I think it is pretty groovy now, hope you do too!

edit:  I was waiting for someone to catch the fadeout ending!!!  HAHAHA!  Yes there's a dreaded fadeout.  In my defense, this was one of the first tracks I ever wrote.  Also, the fadeout is purposeful, and merely fades out backing elements after all the leads have signed off.  DEAL WITH IT!!!  (it will never happen again) :-D

edit again:  Jivey, that "organ" thing is actually autopanning left and then right for a sort of delayed effect, but I can see how you find the left copy to be louder.  And yeah, this will be the first-ever Zelda remix posted to OCR.  Maybe you could do a Sonic remix, there aren't any of those here either.   :razz:  

SoS:

ZL:

Solid resubmission! Reading over my original vote from 4 (!) years ago, I obviously liked the bulk of what I heard, and that hasn't changed in that time! I still think the meat of this track is rock solid, and the addition of some proper lead instruments in the intro was just what the doctor ordered :-) While I know you've learned a TON over the past 4 years since this track first debuted, and I'm sure you could do a lot more with this if you were to rebuild from the ground up, this is comfortably above the bar. Production is ace, the lead writing is interpretive and classy. Memorable moments such as the classic Fanfare transition at 1:36 show that you've always had a great ear for crafting creative, inspired arrangements that demonstrate a level of nostalgia and appreciation for the Zelda universe, even when you first started out making music :-)

YES

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first time hearing this, but I am such a sucker for time signature adaptations, that I'm tempted to give people the YES just for trying. Luckily, this is a very easy pass. Production is great - without realizing it, I was doing Carlton from Fresh Prince-like moves while listening. The writing is quite melodic and fits the new groove perfectly. It's one of those seemingly effortless tracks (I said seemingly, I know this was a resub) where the concept and instrument set is so sound that the remix is gonna be great no matter what you do with it.

YES

Nice changes in leads throughout the track, it really kept things fresh. Overall I enjoyed the production quality of this one. From the moment I was presented with the lofi intro I knew I was in for a treat. Each element has its place and remains fairly audible across the track. I did feel the low-end could've been a tiny bit clearer in the busier parts of the track - I could hear some parts sharing a little too much frequency space, but not enough to cloud audibility.

Arrangement wise things seems to travel at a pretty decent pace and you do the sources justice. The main thing that stuck out to me is the organ stabbing throughout the mix - I felt it could've evolved a bit more throughout the track, as it seems to play a similar line continually throughout. I understand it's a backing instrument - I think the fact that it was panned into its own space on the left made it stick out and made this more noticeable.

Overall nothing majorly wrong with this track, a nice tidy romp with some great changes along the way. Happy to hear some Zelda. I don't think we have any mixes of that yet.

And OMG a fadeout ending Kristina and anterroir, what were you two thinking.

YES