OCR03275 - *YES* Contra 'Aliens in My Waterfall!' *RESUB*

Chimpazilla

previous decision

Apart from the title and updated link the info below didn’t change. Also a big shout-out to Timaeus222 who lent me his ears for mixing stuff (and created an alternative mix that I didn’t end up using :P).

Contact information:

Remixer name: Jorito
Email: 
Userid: 3917

Submission information:

Name of Game(s) Remixed: Contra
Name of Arrangement: Aliens in my waterfall!

Names of songs arranged: Waterfall (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U58a-svZok8) and some subtle references in the calm part to parts of Jungle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O04bPRzqEEk)

Comments about the mix:

For years the music from Konami's Contra (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contra_(video_game)) waterfall theme has been stuck in my head and I thought it'd deserve a remix. Of course there are plenty of rock/metal Contra covers around already, so I decided to do things a bit differently.

A few months ago I finally found the time and inspiration to actually do something with this track, so I fired up my DAW and some orchestral patches and started working on it. I'm not much of an orchestrator, but I like combining different genres and thought injecting a bit of rock would be a good idea.

After a few WIPs I offered a demo link to some people at #ocrwip. Ivan Hakštok liked it and offered to play the rhythm guitar. A bit later, I found some nice drum video by Erik Vreven and asked him to play in the drums. Finally, deciding it needed a bit more climatic ending I added in a MIDI lead guitar, decided a real guitar would immensely improve things and asked Sixto if he would play a bit of lead guitar.

So there you have it, a full on rock/orchestral take on Contra's waterfall theme combined with some (not so) subtle references to the level 1 "Jungle" theme in the calmer parts of the song, featuring the following guest contributors:

- Ivan Hakštok (rhythm guitars)
- Erik Vreven (drums)
- Sixto Sounds (lead guitar)

Cheers,
Jorrith

Might be a bit mid-heavy now, but it sounds to me like the whole soundscape just became more 3d.  I hear more detail in all the right places.  It is a very busy mix but most everything is audible now.  It's borderline too busy near the end but I think the mixing is working much better overall.  I'm cool with this.  If it still doesn't pass, I recommend taking down the mids by a couple of db.

edit:  I agree with Larry about the brass, that's what sounds too mid-heavy.  Still a pass!

YES

This is certainly cleaned up some, but the brass accents just mud over the leads from :49-53 & :55-:58. Same issue at 2:04-2:26 -- I get why that writing's there, but it shouldn't be that audible, IMO, and shouldn't be obscuring melodic leads. And again, brass elements from 2:28-2:37 & 2:54-3:03 are going over the top of the leads again and creating mud.

Other than that issue with the supporting brass mixing, the overall mixing is certainly much better. It's not ideal, but it's also nothing holding this piece back from passing now. Nice job heading to the Workshop for feedback and taking charge of this, Jorrith!

YES

Well done. Very well produced overall. The guitars and the orchestra complement each other nicely. I think the bass could be more present, and the lead guitar mixed with the orchestra elements at the end does get muddy, but ultimately the blend is polished enough to be solidly over the bar. The arrangement is really cool.

YES

Woah, holy delay on the drums.  

The mix is very right heavy unless I've suddenly gone deaf...nope it's definitely a balance issue.  Those strings and horns don't cut well enough for how you're using them.  They sound muddy next to the distorted guitars, and that's no good for a lead.  

The arrangement is pretty good, but it's so cluttered in the low mids!  I'd start by carving out some low mids from the strings and horns, and maybe add some more top and bottom overall.  

I'd like to hear it resubmitted but You've gotta do a bit of cleanup first.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

You did a great job making this sound cleaner, but I still want this to sound harder. I'd like to hear more power in the lows, less in the mids. It feels like it's not quite at its full potential, and I almost want to make you take another crack at it, because of how strong the arrangement is. Still, a pass is a pass, and I think now this is barely a pass. All I can say is, keep making arrangements this good, and in the future, keep working on making the production better.

YES