*NO* Tales of Symphonia 'Ain't Yo' Fool (Stay Cool)'

Liontamer

look who finally got off his ass and finished something!

by the way, dave, if this passes, could you kindly link to "http://www.nerdcorehiphop.org/" . It's the home page of the Nerdcore Hip Hop CD collaboration that was recently released. It features a bunch of artists ranging from extremely amatuer to very professional sounding. On this, you will find three songs with my name on them (including the Earthbound Black Market mix and two relatively new originals) and some songs by another prominent OCRvestite, Shael Riley. It's cool crud and a link would be jawesome.

anyways, this is my mix for the tales project. It's a very liberal take on "Zelos Serious Arrange" which is some kind of sad song or something. I took the melody line and reenvisioned it as a motown era pop song. be forewarned, it's very liberal, but in my opinion, it IS a remix of the theme and not like...top gun or some crud.

I wrote all the parts and Luiza was kind enough to record the wah guitar. The production is my attempt to follow some motown era production thingies, including the vinyl-ey crackle, the panning of the instruments, and the drum solo. The silence before the main song is intentional as well, but if you feel it's too long, i'll shorten it.

Oh and btw, the brass is very fakey. It was the best i could do back when I wrote the bulk of this song. My bad. :)

The Remix:

The Original:

Peace!

-navid

Brass samples are fakey. But they fit in with the context of the mix. Some people just throw in brass samples with no regards to how they fit in. These ones sound fake but they do their job.

Listening through, I wish that 70's wah guitar was a bit louder, since that's a feature of the mix to me. Your fake brass and string samples are all much louder when they really should be more subdued than the realistic sounding parts of the mix.

The bassline and drumwork is great. All arranged very smoothly. The mix feels a little empty with the brass doing the majority of the leadwork, I think this is the kind of mix where a saxophone or trumpet could've taken place as a second lead next to the generic brass hits.

Right now, I don't feel that this one is all it could be. It's enjoyable to listen to, but those brass samples are just too fake to play such a major role in the mix. I'd like to pass this one, but I think with a bit more tweaking, and perhaps a second brass lead, it could be more enjoyable to listen to.

I'll go with a NO for now.

• 3 weeks later...

Tales of Symphonia Original Soundtrack - 329 "Zelos ~Serious Arrange~"

Don't forget to encode at 192kbps or below; thanks for providing the source. Yeah, this brass sucks it. Nonetheless the arrangement is pretty damn good. Took me a few minutes to familiarize myself with the source melody and latch onto it here, but it's creatively used here in a very non-obvious way. Why the pregnant pause at :10?

TO's absolutely right about the fakey brass and fakey strings needing to take a back seat in this mix. They're all so loud, dry, and upfront that you can't help but hear how poor they sound. The brass in the original sounds better than what's in play here, and the foreground here does sound sparse with the brass the way it is. I'd say pull back the volume on the brass and flesh out the tone on it.

TO's also right in that the wah guitar is criminally low here. Adjust the balance accordingly to let Luiza's stuff cut through more. Love the way the ending trailed off though. Funktastic.

Overall, the track's too loud, but it doesn't seem like anything is clipping. Nonetheless, the sheer loudness of the track made the dynamic changes seem a lot less dynamic. Everything just sounds all up in a nigga's face.

Nothing really needs to be altered as far as the arrangement goes. Everything seemed great there. Give the production a thorough once over and run it by some of the Js before you resub it.

NO (refine/resubmit)

heh, this is pretty fun!

here are my gripes:

as a brass player myself, the horn samples are pretty bad, but not all the time. these particular samples would be allright if they were used sparingly and only for the occasional big hit...i.e not constantly playing the melody.

if you could find some other way to present the melody, either with different instrumentation or better/more diverse samples, that would make a huge difference.

another thing that bothered me was the piano noodling in the background...sounds to me like a 10 year old kid snuck into the jam session and is playing one-fingered pentatonic scales on an unattended piano....that's just me though.

the drum n' bass work are pretty good, and the wah guitar is sex...as Lee pointed out, it could stand to be a little louder.

good stuff navid, i just don't think it's ready yet.

NO