OCR03320 - *YES* Pokémon Red Version 'Crescendo to Chaos' *PROJECT*

Chimpazilla

Hi everyone, hope you're all doing okay! :)

Note: This ReMix is part of the BadAss 3 album.

Contact Information

Submission Information

• Pokémon Red/Blue Versions
  • Crescendo to Chaos
  • Final Battle / VS Rival (and a little part of Indigo Plateau at the beginning)
  • GB / Junichi Masuda
  • My notes from the album notes: Since the first volume of BadAss, people requested that someone should arrange a boss theme from Pokémon, especially the final battle with "Gary Motherf*ckin' Oak" from the first generation. A remix of that track was in the works for the second volume, but it never happened. As I was working on a Digimon remix too, I thought I could also do something for the Pokémon fans.
    The source from Pokémon RBY is very chaotic -- it sounds frenetic and not structured. I tried to make it sound as epic as possible, since epic is the theme for this final volume. Bombastic was the goal here, but I also added some darker/ominous sections, which I really love. Gary Oak is the final boss, the ultimate obstacle, the last trainer you have to best before finally earning your title of Pokémon Master. Are you ready? Because he really is.
  • LINK to REMIX: 

I hope everything's fine, and I truly hope this one passes, since it's maybe one of my best orchestral remixes so far! :)

Peace!

I hear the source use just fine here.  The track is lacking in lows other than the deep timpani, but I really like that deep timpani, it is very ominous (and it is probably for the best that there is nothing down there competing with it!).  The track seems to be mastered very quietly, I think you could have raised the limiter just a teeny bit more.  The use of samples is good though, and the writing is good.  I really like the faster violin passages such as 0:20-0:24 and 0:51-0:57.  The drumming is exciting and appropriate.  Good dynamics throughout the track.  The vocal samples are reminding me of The Omen, in a good creepy way, especially starting at 2:44.  The vocals almost get too groovy from 3:07-3:18.  Vocals might be a touch loud after 2:44.

Nitpick:  from 1:37-2:11, you tend to rely on slow whole note patterns with not too much else going on, most notable at 1:48-2:11.  I think something else could have been added there for much more creepy impact, like some wind or some kind of sound effect.  

Good crescendo into the outro.  Overall, I like it!

YES 

• 1 month later...

Very cool! Your production has really improved! Arrangement checks out, sounds are big, exposed choral bits are brave and, while they hit some uncanny valley territory, strike me as a bold and creative decision. Know what this needed? Some Bartok pizzicato. Know why? Because it's awesome. Just kidding, although it WOULD have added to the creepy/evil factor a bit. I concur with Kris's comparison to The Omen soundtrack - hectic, apocalyptic, and well done!

YES

Great way to set the mood right from the get go.  Tons of attention to detail are apparent throughout the track with regards to dynamics, note velocities and varied writing.  Arrangement sounds solid to me.

Production-wise, this is more on the dry side of the scale (though not overly so), which is fine because you're using very high quality samples here.  It may have helped to smooth things out with the choir specifically with a bit more reverb, though.  Gonna second Kristina's note about not having a lot of low end presence in the track.  It's a minor point, but it can really serve to enhance more bombastic orchestral arrangements like this one.

This really is fantastic work here; not much else to say but

YES