*NO* Final Fantasy Mystic Quest 'Random Encounter of the Mystic Kind'

Liontamer

Remixer: Cerrax (Charles Koch)

Game Remixed: Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (SNES, 1992, Squaresoft)

Song Remixed: Battle Theme 1 (Ryuji Sasai)

Remix Title: Random Encounter of the Mystic Kind

I've had this idea for a while after listening to "Lands of Fire" by Iris and then when humming the beginning accidentally slipped into the beginning of the FFMQ battle theme. From there I built around it and created a slightly down tempo but still punchy and exciting battle theme remix. I really wanted to do a cover, but this idea inspired by "Lands of Fire" just stuck and so the remix was born.

Link: http://www.cerrax.com/Final_Fantasy_Mystic_Quest_Random_Encounter_of_the_Mystic_Kind_OC_ReMix.mp3

(Please keep link in if rejected. Thanks)

I'm not really feeling the slower pace here. There's not enough going on rhythmically to justify it, in my opinion - the main drum pattern is very simple, and nothing was done with the melody to make it more interesting for a slower tempo. The end result is that it just feels sort of plodding and not very interesting. The synth(s) that play the melody do so in such a straightforward and mechanical way that it's a little painful to listen to them exposed earlier in the mix. Also, the harmony synth that you have going playing fifths doesn't work too well. I think you really want to emphasize the roots of the chords here, because it sounds too cluttered at best, and simply wrong (in parts) at worst. Ultimately, there's a certain degree of interpretation here from the original bridges and some of the harmony patterns, but otherwise the arrangement pretty much falls short.

I'd also like to quickly point out that the piano that comes in at 4:01 plays some wrong notes that don't fit with the other chords and patterns.

In regards to production, it's a little on the muddy side. I would try to make better use of EQ to separate the different instruments more. I would also try to vary your synth leads more, either by switching the patch up, adding additional effects, or doing some subtle modulation (pitch, filter cutoff, pulse width) in order to make them more interesting. Right now, when combined with their incredibly mechanical sequencing, they are very bland. Lastly, the drum samples don't sound too good, like they're all from 128kbps MP3s. There's no depth to the snare and no sharpness in the hats. The kick sounds nearly GM in quality. Perhaps it's the way you're processing it, I'm not sure, but I certainly think they could be better.

This isn't too far off from our bar. Your main focus should be a more interesting arrangement. Next, you should try to sculpt the structure so that it keeps the listener's attention; right now there is hardly any difference from one section to another. It's the same sounds through, similar rhythms, etc. Lastly, tune up some of the production issues I pointed out. Do all that and you're well on your way.

NO

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ffmq - "Battle 1" (ffmq-07.spc)

Wasn't a big fan of this soundtrack, but the battle themes in it were pretty solid. Good choice to arrange.

Weird opening, but a good change of pace. Melody came in at :24 via electrosynth. Yeah, gotta agree with zircon in that I'm not feeling the slower pace. The arrangement has also managed to deemphasize the original and made it less melodically driven. The melodic lead tends to take a complete backseat to the percussion, supporting electrosynths and massive effects in play.

Drums at 1:30 were too basic and didn't drive the track along; combined with the fairly thin pad in there and the soundfield sounded empty. You need to spice the drums up to prevent boredom, bro; they're the foundation of the track.

Meanwhile, read everything zircon said again, because he was on point with a lot of issues I agreed with on the production, the mechanical usage of the synths, and the wrong notes. The track lacks a great deal of finesse. Keep trying, Charles.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

I have no problem with the pace of this track. there's plenty going on, although granted the arpeggiated synths are just filler. Other possible issues are that it's fairly repetitive. too much time is spent in the same place. sometimes the samples arent used well..zircon's right, the drums arent any good.

to its credit, there are some good dynamic transitions, and the body of the song is fairly interesting.

NO