OCR03229 - *YES* Uşas 'Ushas' Dark Gift'

Chimpazilla

Hello guys, Sir_NutS here.

This is a psytrance Remix of Konami's "Treasure of Usas" stage 5 theme, for the MSX.  This ReMix was done for PRC, and retouched after the original submission.

This is my second psytrance submission, and while my earlier sub leaned more towards Juno Reactor's style of Psytrance, this is very infected mushroom inspired, as in, a more "pure" psytrance rendition, down to the song structure and sounds.  As always I have a lot of fun crafting these complex sounds and this song was no exception.

I never played this game, but classic Konami titles always had good music.  The original seemed a bit happy for this style at first, but the details and modifications I made created the dark atmosphere that, imo, changed the original mood of the melody, making it more tense, frantic and dark.  Making it perfect for the genre in the end.   I hope you guys enjoy it, even though i know this kind of music is not for everyone, it's one of my favorite electronica genres.

I adore psy-trance and this is a VERY well crafted and interesting track.  I have no issues with the production, I'm enjoying it fully.  My problem here is with the source use.  I'm not sure there's enough.  Here's my breakdown:

0:00-0:13 original

0:13-0:59  source bassline (0:00-0:10 in source)   46 seconds

0:59-1:26  source melody (0:00-0:12 in source)   27 seconds

1:26-1:59  original

1:59-2:26  source melody (0:13-0:26 in source)  27 seconds

2:26-2:39  original

2:39-3:18  source melody (0:26-0:39 in source)  39 seconds

3:18-3:45  source bassline (0:00-0:10 in source)  27 seconds

3:45-4:11  source melody (0:00-0:12 in source)  26 seconds

4:11-4:38  source bassline (0:00-0:10 in source)  27 seconds

This adds to 219 seconds and 219/286 is 76% source.  My issue is whether the sections I've labeled "source bassline" are close enough to the source, I need some other ears on this please.  Without those bassline sections being counted, source use is only 119 seconds or 41%.

NEED MOAR SOURCE CHECKERS, THANKS

• 4 weeks later...

SO MUCH AMERICAN PSYCHO!!

And yet no sussudio reference :(

When the bass sits on the same note/chord, it's hard to call that the source bassline, since the source bassline is always cycling through a progression.

So basically, the portions you've labeled source bassline would need to be further broken down and only the portions where the progression is present should be counted, if you really wanted to stopwatch it.

That being said, it's psytrance... there's gonna be glue, and that glue is gonna be significant, and to me it's more that the portions of the bassline that just sit on one note may not be arranging the source in a strict manner of speaking, they're serving no other melodic purpose, either - they're not introducing a different melody or progression, they're simply there to put everything else in a psytrance context. It works, for me, though it does sit on the borderline in terms of source usage.

Solid track, but I think my biggest issue is that I'm just not sure this source melody is well-suited to a psytrance treatment - it's a strong tune, but it's got this celebratory, plucky melody going on, and tricking it out and making it psychedelic ends up feeling a bit odd. Not BAD, per se, just not intuitive or entirely comfortable in its own skin. I still got a kick out of it, and since I've seen American Psycho a dozen or so times, the Patrick Bateman was fun. Not without some reservations, but still a...

YES

• 4 weeks later...

This reminds me less of Infected Mushroom (at least as they sound currently) and more of someone like Wizzy Noise or Flip Flop, but I digress.

I agree that this is very much borderline for a few reasons; namely that the source melody doesn't quite sit right with the style (like Dave said) and that it gets a bit repetitive if only because it has to keep coming back to that melody to center it as an arrangement. The best parts are the more experimental psychedelic parts. I feel like this would be a better track if you carved out the arrangement elements and just reworked it into an original composition.

But all the same, I still think it's good enough for a 

YES