Chimpazilla

• Name of game(s) arranged: Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
  • Name of arrangement: Poison Fields/Sumner's Tower 
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged:  Poison Fields/Sumner's Tower 
  • Composer: Barry Leitch; Released 2001 on Xbox and Gamecube
  • Link to the original soundtrack: 
  •       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFaa_k8BBXM
  •       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FbFARm4CcA
  • Your own comments about the mix: Gauntlet: Dark Legacy was one of my favorite games growing up as a kid. I beat it many times with different friends and family members. The music is very unique and brings back a lot of memories for me. Reviving some of the memorable tracks is my way of saying thanks to the team for doing such a great job.
-----------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

This remix is super conservative in terms of writing and also style/mood/instrumentation being similar to the source.  It sounded so similar that I decided to layer the source and remix together, and the arrangement and tempo of both remix and source are identical until 2:04.  Most likely a midi-rip here.  There are some additional elements added to the remix, extra string parts (possibly some additional bells?), and the instrumentation is very well done, samples used well, mixing is good.  Sadly though, this is clearly a midi rip, until 2:04.

J's:  here is the source as an mp3 if you want to layer it as I did.

So... the remix stays 100% true to the source arrangement until the breakdown at 2:04.  The writing from 2:04 until the end all seems to be original.   I see what you did thar.  It does make a cohesive track, but I'm going to have to say no to this for being such an odd structure, remix-wise.  Half midi-rip and half original does not an OC ReMix make.  Too bad, it sounds great.

You're clearly skilled with samples.  If you could make some meaningful variations in the first half (the additional string bits are a great start!) and add some of the source into the second half, this would be a winner.  Otherwise, this structure is a

NO

Edited by Liontamer
removed source MP3 link

• 3 weeks later...

This remix is super conservative in terms of writing and also style/mood/instrumentation being similar to the source.  It sounded so similar that I decided to layer the source and remix together, and the arrangement and tempo of both remix and source are identical until 2:04.  Most likely a midi-rip here.  There are some additional elements added to the remix, extra string parts (possibly some additional bells?), and the instrumentation is very well done, samples used well, mixing is good.  Sadly though, this is clearly a midi rip, until 2:04.

J's:  here is the source as an mp3 if you want to layer it as I did.

So... the remix stays 100% true to the source arrangement until the breakdown at 2:04.  The writing from 2:04 until the end all seems to be original.   I see what you did thar.  It does make a cohesive track, but I'm going to have to say no to this for being such an odd structure, remix-wise.  Half midi-rip and half original does not an OC ReMix make.  Too bad, it sounds great.

You're clearly skilled with samples.  If you could make some meaningful variations in the first half (the additional string bits are a great start!) and add some of the source into the second half, this would be a winner.  Otherwise, this structure is a

Yeah, I agreed with all of this. It's not what I'd call a submissions violation, because there was added original countermelodic writing here, and the effort was made with the new instrumentation to distinguish itself from the source tune. But when the structures match up that closely, it does feel like a MIDI-rip with garnish on it. Also, watch the brass articulations for 2:52's section, they're very stiffly timed and sound unrealistic.

NO

Not a whole lot to add to what's been said.  For the first couple minutes, it's essentially a sound upgrade/replacement of the original with a few changes.  There is some interesting writing beyond that, but it's mainly original.  I should mention that's it's actually not entirely original after the 2 minute mark.  At 2:30, there's a brief reference to the original NES Gauntlet theme.  I don't recognize anything after 2:50, however.

Finally, I wasn't 100% behind the brass lead that came in around 3:25.  The tone isn't that strong and there are some awkward note changes/cutoffs between each of the phrases.

Like Kris mentioned, a mix of more original/personalized writing/structure in the first half and more source in the second could get you there. You clearly have some strong production chops, so kudos there for sure.  Keep at it.

NO resubmit, please