Really like the piano. Not sure how I feel about the drums though as this is supposed to be chill, but is actually very upbeat in terms of melody and sound. Yet paces itself completely on the instrumentation & sonic density. Which I guess is an interesting dichotomy. The bells (not sure if it actually is or not) are quite pretty too. That is another thing too, you've got the melodic instruments as these really pretty things, but the bass & percussion are much more aggressive by their very nature. That to me is just kind of strange. However, at least you kept with it. Keep it careful with those high harmonics though. Sounds pretty good to me overall though. Also, that instrument in the left when the lead is playing? Awesome.

I agree the drums are too punchy and aggressive for a "chill"/relaxing remix. Is this supposed to be relaxing or simply atmospheric? What was your intention? Either way, the drums stick out for me, and I think if you want this to be more relaxing, the snare/clap layer should have less below 300 Hz to lessen the punchiness, and you should have a kick that is less pitch-envelope-like (pitch envelopes tend to add punch).

Also, the outtro with the shakers seems a bit basic with the reverb processing. Perhaps a wide ping-pong delay on the shakers could work better, and a lower dry mix on the shaker reverb can bring it further back in the mix. The pads can use more motion to really embrace the ambience of the outtro. Here's an example of pads with lots of motion.

I agree the drums are too punchy and aggressive for a "chill"/relaxing remix. Is this supposed to be relaxing or simply atmospheric? What was your intention? Either way, the drums stick out for me, and I think if you want this to be more relaxing, the snare/clap layer should have less below 300 Hz to lessen the punchiness, and you should have a kick that is less pitch-envelope-like (pitch envelopes tend to add punch).

Also, the outtro with the shakers seems a bit basic with the reverb processing. Perhaps a wide ping-pong delay on the shakers could work better, and a lower dry mix on the shaker reverb can bring it further back in the mix. The pads can use more motion to really embrace the ambience of the outtro. Here's an example of pads with lots of motion.

Yea idk with the drums to me I've listened to a lot of music where the melodies are really soft and jazzy but the drums kinda hit hard and I've always considered it chill. I do understand what you guys mean though regarding the drums being softer of course. I guess I've always considered hard or soft drums with soothing pads or jazzy keyboards chill and relaxing. To be honest I'm not well versed with a lot of the technical stuff. I'm not too familiar with adjusting things to the exact amount of Hz. I kinda play it by ear. Although I do want to be more knowledgeable with that. With the outro I kinda did feel like it needed a little spice to it but it was late and the sound of it made me sleepy so I was like...I think this works if its making me sleepy haha. I really really appreciate the advice and I will definitely take it to heart and try to utilize those things on future projects when possible. 

• 1 month later...

oh my god this is the best I've heard in my life is also one favorite tracks ... but this remix made me proud

• percussion is quite comfortable for my sensual ears
  • the pace is so soft that makes me want to eat a chocolate cake
  • piano that changed my life

conclusion: his remix is comfortable and smooth as it will be a 70/10 note

zvpeo2.gif