MnP 38: Zeliard - Secluded Town

HoboKa

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)
Round 38: Zeliard - Secluded Town

40894536.png?1600

Thanks as always for running the compo, Alex!

My pick is "Secluded Town" from Zeliard. Originally a game for the Japanese NEC PC-88 computer, I found the English DOS version from Home of the Underdogs in 2000.. good times. The game has a great, pretty typical Japanese 80s soundtrack (I think). This is a mellower town theme.

-evktalo

Midi: http://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/MnP38_ZELGM6.MID

Youtube: https://youtu.be/mN7au5w5F7g

Deadline: July 19 @ 2PM Sunday
Vote Ends: July 21 @ 8pm Tues

Submit your remix Here when completed. 
**If you have technical difficulty with account activation at ThaSauce, please contact me via PM and I will submit your track and will also tally your vote**

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines
1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.
2. Most or all of the source notes must be present (but not necessarily in the exact same order), secondly the mood (energy, pacing, feelings being conveyed etc) should also be retained. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell.
3. If you decide to do a genre swap (i.e. symphonic to techno), make sure that the conditions of #2 are met.
4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
6. All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)
- Certain sad or moody source tunes don't have drums or percussion for a reason. So keeping it that way may be the easiest way to retain much of the original feel, such as 

and 

I wish I could find the PC88 version of the tune(s), I'd be very interested in hearing the music in the original form. I guess I could try to pull out the Roland MT32 youtube links too.. both the Adlib and MT32 versions (just different sounds) are good to listen to. I'm partial to the Adlib version since that's what I've played.

Haha, oh dear. I've never broken anything, but I imagine it flippin' hurts. That's the thing with reinforced glass doors - they always get the last laugh.

Yessir.  Luckily, I don't need my cast, but I still got a K wire in my pinky hehe.  Still can't mouse with my right hand x.x  -  guess I COULD do a midi rip, but bleh.  I'll let you guys take center stage ;) 

Oh, I got angry at work and punched a reinforced glass door.  Only I broke lol.  And somehow I didn't get fired...goes to show how desperate they need workers lol =p

Oooooouch. Having broken several bones in my hands and arms over the years I feel your pain, brother. To be honest though; it might have been worse if the glass had broken. Picking bits of broken window out of your fist is not a pleasant pastime for anyone.

May your bones mend quickly and without incident!

Oooooouch. Having broken several bones in my hands and arms over the years I feel your pain, brother. To be honest though; it might have been worse if the glass had broken. Picking bits of broken window out of your fist is not a pleasant pastime for anyone.

May your bones mend quickly and without incident!

yeah its not too bad lol.  Thanks Trism

Voted. As I'm on a roll, I'll leave a little comment for Mike as I'm listening to it now. Nice remix, man. I can hear the Supercoolmike signature sound coming through on those triplet kicks and spacey synths. Good drum beat, I like the placement of the second snare. Nice groove. Shame you didn't manage to submit this by the deadline mate, I really like it. Cool stuff.

Voted! And also listened to Supercoolmike's version - really glad to hear that one too! I like the deliberate, steady pacing with the beat & the synthy feel (quite similar to the FM-synthy sound of the original (at least the Adlib version, and the PC-88 versions of other tracks from the game I've been able to hear). I think this would've fit MnP very well. I liked the original bits & didn't think they were too far from the source material. The mix could be more balanced (more consideration for what's on the front, and what's on the background - generally it sounds quite loud) and I might have some specific nitpicks about additional writing, but overall, really cool arrangement!

What a round! Awesome. :D

That's weird, I definitely voted in this round but it's not showing on Tha Sauce  :dstrbd:  Anyway, nice work to everybody, Supercoolmike included!

Since HoboKa tallies/adjusts the votes to account for 2x voting power and such, I'd imagine you could just PM him your vote/the circumstances to get it taken care of. Don't quote me on that though. I get all of my info from Google.

Results

• Iosphere got 1st with 18 points.
  • Kat got 2nd with 17 points
  • Trism got 3rd with 11 points

Iosphere, please pick the source tune for round 39.

Comments:
Good turn out - heard all the tracks but figured we've got enough votes, so I'll leave comments here

-Kat you have improved quite a bit since last submission a while back; great usage of instruments, perhaps not OCR quality but who cares lol, nice ending too

-Iosphere, interesting interpretation, Love the atmosphere.

-Trism - why do I always prefer the underdog's stuffs in most rounds??  I thought this one was actually quite beast, love the acoustic guitar and the bells and bass.  Good work Trism

So yeah all in all, strong round guys.  Sorry for the long wait again.

Comments:

Good turn out - heard all the tracks but figured we've got enough votes, so I'll leave comments here

-Kat you have improved quite a bit since last submission a while back; great usage of instruments, perhaps not OCR quality but who cares lol, nice ending too

-Iosphere, interesting interpretation, Love the atmosphere.

-Trism - why do I always prefer the underdog's stuffs in most rounds??  I thought this one was actually quite beast, love the acoustic guitar and the bells and bass.  Good work Trism

So yeah all in all, strong round guys.  Sorry for the long wait again.

Ah, well, I should be improving anymore - I've recently acquired a new orchestral library(along with some high quality solo instruments), and just got myself a proper pair of studio monitors. My entry was done entirely with old Sonatina samples and no such monitors, so I think I'll be a lot better off though.

Grats, Iosphere. That was a pretty awesome mix you did.