Distortion in places that doesn't make any sense.

Hiya, I'm not really remixing, what I'm doing is making the songs from Final Fantasy VII sound better than the regular midi sound, and then putting them in the game using Ficedula's and a couple other peoples programs.

My problem is that each of my tracks don't make any type of distortion individualy, but togeather, after I export to a wav file, it has distortion in a couple of places. How do I find out what track has the distortion and how do I get rid of it?

How I record my instruments is that I use soundfonts I got off the net and put them in the midi files using Cakewalk. I then edit anything as needed, then I solo a track out and then record the track, playing in Cakewalk and recording using Adaucity. I don't hear any noise or distortion.

Anotehr note that might help is that I have my headphones hooked up directly into my soundcard because my speaker wire was broken near the head, I have yet to get it fixed. My "Midi" volume level is set to the middle when I record, but is too loud too hear using headphones. My recording volume level is at as high as it will go.

Hiya, I'm not really remixing, what I'm doing is making the songs from Final Fantasy VII sound better than the regular midi sound, and then putting them in the game using Ficedula's and a couple other peoples programs.

My problem is that each of my tracks don't make any type of distortion individualy, but togeather, after I export to a wav file, it has distortion in a couple of places. How do I find out what track has the distortion and how do I get rid of it?

How I record my instruments is that I use soundfonts I got off the net and put them in the midi files using Cakewalk. I then edit anything as needed, then I solo a track out and then record the track, playing in Cakewalk and recording using Adaucity. I don't hear any noise or distortion.

Anotehr note that might help is that I have my headphones hooked up directly into my soundcard because my speaker wire was broken near the head, I have yet to get it fixed. My "Midi" volume level is set to the middle when I record, but is too loud too hear using headphones. My recording volume level is at as high as it will go.

lemme see if i got this straight. you're soloing each track, and recording them in audacity one at a time? then putting them all together again?

err... that seems like a weird way to go about doing it. there's not a way to mix-down all the tracks simultaneously in cakewalk?

also, you have to keep in mind that the overall volume is gonna be higher than the individual parts. when you lay two tracks on top of each other, the end result is gonna have more volume (hence distortion) than either of the original tracks.

• 2 weeks later...