Snappleman is s3xy!!!! (the old Axiom 61 thread)

Asio4All is garbage. Nothing can replace hardware ASIO drivers. Recommending this is instanely stupid. Most people I know who have tried it, have experianced latency problems, software problems, and audio problems.

I don't see any reason for anyone to use this. Save up and get a real audio interface and leave this bootleg 3rd party shit to German newsgroup bootleggers.

Actually, that's very different from what I experienced, as well as from the general consensus of experiences that I've heard -

Asio4All got me below 10ms latency (on reasonably low loads), which is just about fine (compared to ~30-40ms without ASIO at all). My hardware ASIO drivers get me 5ms latency at the same loads, but cause more problems and tend to crash things more often. Additionally, this has been my experience on other machines, and this is what I've generally heard from users of ASIO4All.

And even if you've heard differently, that's not really a justification to say it's "garbage". Or "I don't see any reason for anyone to use this." :roll: How about this: if you're not picky about output quality (i.e. are not doing mastering or fine mixing tasks on your workstation), and you don't need audio inputs, it's pretty much a waste of money to get a dedicated audio interface, IF YOU CAN GET THE LATENCIES YOU WANT with Asio4All. Therefore, try it before you spend that $50.00USD-$100.00USD - makes sense, right?

Working on music in a Windows environment is risky enough as is. No way in hell I'm gonna "try" bootleg 3rd party software on what's already an unstable platform to begin with.

I tried an earlier version of ASIO4all when I used my SBlive, it fucked up my sound drivers and caused me to have to uninstall the hardware and do a full reinstallation. I made the mistake of recommending ASIO4all to a friend of mine a while ago and he was forced to format his system. My reasons for disliking that horrible software are just as valid as your reasons for supporting it. Chew on that, spanky!

Working on music in a Windows environment is risky enough as is. No way in hell I'm gonna "try" bootleg 3rd party software on what's already an unstable platform to begin with.

I tried an earlier version of ASIO4all when I used my SBlive, it fucked up my sound drivers and caused me to have to uninstall the hardware and do a full reinstallation. I made the mistake of recommending ASIO4all to a friend of mine a while ago and he was forced to format his system. My reasons for disliking that horrible software are just as valid as your reasons for supporting it. Chew on that, spanky!

Well, if that's the case, I guess you should just continue to advocate against it, while I continue to recommend it! It works out, that way, doesn't it?

If you had mentioned earlier that you knew someone who was forced to format because of ASIO4All, I would have agreed that there must be some risk involved in trying it out (I'd never heard of such a case before). I'm not sure if I'd advocate trying ASIO4All anymore if you have money to burn, but I'd still say to definitely try it if you would benefit from the savings - just back up first.

Additionally, my experiences with so-called "bootleg" "3rd party shit" have been much less laden with disasters and blue screens and incompatibilities than my experiences with my E-Mu 0404, its drivers, and all the other expensive "1st party" software I've decided to buy over the years. Additionally additionally, I don't know what you mean by "spanky" so I'll assume it's funny and post a nice emoticon :mrgreen: