Snappleman is s3xy!!!! (the old Axiom 61 thread)

Do me a favor and ignore everything Skrypnyk says about computers forever.

The buffer size to 256 samples? lol

Some computers don't need Asio4all. I don't. I got my latency down to ~13ms and that's fine for me until I try to record live audio.

Don't just randomly tell everyone to download 3rd party crap, please. Some soundcards already have ASIO drivers, and you only need Asio4all if you're experiencing EXTREME latency problems.

Go into your audio options in FL and mess with the audio latency, unless you've already done that. The lower it goes, the faster the audio response time gets. This is a very crucial element when trying to record live.

However, not all systems can go down all the way, even with Asio4all. You can't just set your latency to 256 samples [~5ms] and expect it to work. If the latency is set too low, there will be artifacts in the audio.

Do me a favor and ignore everything Skrypnyk says about computers forever.

The buffer size to 256 samples? lol

Some computers don't need Asio4all. I don't. I got my latency down to ~13ms and that's fine for me until I try to record live audio.

Don't just randomly tell everyone to download 3rd party crap, please. Some soundcards already have ASIO drivers, and you only need Asio4all if you're experiencing EXTREME latency problems.

Go into your audio options in FL and mess with the audio latency, unless you've already done that. The lower it goes, the faster the audio response time gets. This is a very crucial element when trying to record live.

However, not all systems can go down all the way, even with Asio4all. You can't just set your latency to 256 samples [~5ms] and expect it to work. If the latency is set too low, there will be artifacts in the audio.

Wow, soc.

This is the first time I'm telling someone over the OCR boards to get asio4all driver, so...who is this everyone?

B.G.C. also said that it's impossible to play with his current setup. Impossible to play...that sounds a little EXTREME, don't you think?

If it makes you feel better, it SOUNDS as if it's a latency problem. You should lower it enough so that you can play realistically and not kill your CPU. My advice works for me, it might work for you.

...proceed with caution?

Asio4All is garbage. Nothing can replace hardware ASIO drivers. Recommending this is instanely stupid. Most people I know who have tried it, have experianced latency problems, software problems, and audio problems.

I don't see any reason for anyone to use this. Save up and get a real audio interface and leave this bootleg 3rd party shit to German newsgroup bootleggers.

Does garageband even use asio drivers? i didn't think it did...

Anyways, I don't think you'd need anything like asio4all for macs. In general they are better for audio stuff than the built in audio on pc's. I have an axiom 61 and have had no problems with it what so ever with my Macbook Pro (using Logic Pro) concerning latency. It's probably just how you have your settings.

Edit: I didn't read quite right and see that you're having these problems with FL and not specifically with your Mac. Asio4all may help, but I agree that spending like 100 bucks and getting somethign like an M-Audio Audiophile would probably give you much better results (former long time PC user speaking here).

garage band does not need drivers.

windows does need drivers. I've got my imac and PC side-by-side :)

i force them to play nice and share.

by impossible to play, i meant that the latency was making it that way. perhaps some can do it, but i just couldn't play a tune in real time and hear it half a second later, and stay in tempo. :P

alright, it seemed to work. I just lowerd my buffer lenght to about 1700 samples (about 37ms) and it seems to work fine :)

thanks for the input.

now, stop arguing in my thread!!! (you're making the internet cry)

lol

btw, snapple. why haven't you submitted your Castlevania Belmont's Revenge mix here? That song (actually the entire OST) is awesome!

And when are YOU going to finish/submit "Wish Upon a Wendellian Star" ? :P

What kind of sound card do you have? I'm just curious if you could go lower sample-wise. But meh, if your satisfied, no bother.

That Axiom is nice though, and I wish I would've saved an extra $100 to get it over my Radium 61. Aftertouch, semi-weighted, touch pads, LCD screen, a host of buttons... grrrrr.

And when are YOU going to finish/submit "Wish Upon a Wendellian Star" ? :P

What kind of sound card do you have? I'm just curious if you could go lower sample-wise. But meh, if your satisfied, no bother.

That Axiom is nice though, and I wish I would've saved an extra $100 to get it over my Radium 61. Aftertouch, semi-weighted, touch pads, LCD screen, a host of buttons... grrrrr.

wendellian star has been submitted for the past couple weeks :) (as well as one back in june, which should hopefully be on the panel as soon as larry updates the flood :D

patience, young grasshopper.

as far as my setup, um, i definitely need a new sound card in my PC, hell, i don't even know what's in here. It was actually a free gift from a buddy of mine in Cali who works for a bank that just happened to be "throwing out" all their *yesterday* machines, so he opted to keep one and sent it to me for the cost of shipping. It's a P4 2 gig processor, with no video card :( and a generic soundcard. I would have invested more into it, but like I mentioned, I just spent 1200 bucks on a mac a couple days ago. So when I install bootcamp, hopefully i can make something of FL on it, too.

And if anyone is curious about my setup, I have just updated my website with all that info.

Really awesome wallpaper!

I know people usually post pictures in their rooms for inspiration but... BWAHAHA! ;p

Yeah I was thinkin' 37ms was still a little high but I guess you gotta do what you can. For future reference though, I can bring my Echo Mia Midi (comes with ASIO WDM drivers) down to around 5-7ms (you have the same CPU speed as I too, not sure about ram) and it only cost around $130. Though it's rating has went down considerably since I bought one... i'd imagine an Audiophile 24/96 can achieve the same results.

Can't wait to see your FFA songs posted 8)

Asio4All is garbage. Nothing can replace hardware ASIO drivers. Recommending this is instanely stupid. Most people I know who have tried it, have experianced latency problems, software problems, and audio problems.

Works fine on my laptop's onboard sound chip, which has an inherent latency of 7ms but no ASIO drivers. ASIO4ALL gets it down to 3ms with no problems.

I don't see any reason for anyone to use this.

See above.

-steve

Works fine on my laptop's onboard sound chip, which has an inherent latency of 7ms but no ASIO drivers. ASIO4ALL gets it down to 3ms with no problems.

I don't see any reason for anyone to use this.

See above.

-steve

First off, it's not hardware ASIO, so it uses your CPU. Second, it doesn't replace the cheap and noisy 16 bit drivers of your soundcard, third it doesn't replace the bad jacks to your soundcard, fourth it is 3rd party shit that's not licensed by anyone, so if it fucks up your soundcard or PC, you're stuck with it.

Using ASIO4all as an alternative to a REAL ASIO card is a joke. But like I said before, if you don't care enough about your music to invest money in it, don't expect me or anyone else to give a shit either.

First off, it's not hardware ASIO, so it uses your CPU.

ASIO is a software protocol. any audio I/O device can have an ASIO driver implementation, the hardware won't make a difference on your CPU load.

minus one point.

Second, it doesn't replace the cheap and noisy 16 bit drivers of your soundcard

SNR ratios are virtually dependent on physical connections and the quality of the ADC/DAC components. you're right that ASIO won't help those things but saying the drivers would be the culprit is not reliable.

plus a half point.

third it doesn't replace the bad jacks to your soundcard, fourth it is 3rd party shit that's not licensed by anyone, so if it fucks up your soundcard or PC, you're stuck with it.

true dat.

plus two points.

2.5 out of 4 points. your final grade is a D. study harder next time.

cheers.

First off, it's not hardware ASIO, so it uses your CPU.

ASIO is a software protocol. any audio I/O device can have an ASIO driver implementation, the hardware won't make a difference on your CPU load.

minus one point.

Second, it doesn't replace the cheap and noisy 16 bit drivers of your soundcard

SNR ratios are virtually dependent on physical connections and the quality of the ADC/DAC components. you're right that ASIO won't help those things but saying the drivers would be the culprit is not reliable.

plus a half point.

third it doesn't replace the bad jacks to your soundcard, fourth it is 3rd party shit that's not licensed by anyone, so if it fucks up your soundcard or PC, you're stuck with it.

true dat.

plus two points.

2.5 out of 4 points. your final grade is a D. study harder next time.

cheers.

It's easy to be a dick when you have FACTS, it's much more of a challange when you have to randomly pluck things out of your ass and hope they're right, like me!

But yeah, my second point still stands as true. I'm not talking about line input noise, I mean the actual lack of headroom that a 16 bit soundcard fails at. You pretty much have to run your mix as close to clipping as possible beacuse mastering a song that peaks at -15dB with tracks bounced in a 16 bit environment will result in too much noise that'll have to get rolled off, most likely taking some of your song with them.

A 24 bit card gives you a much more noiseless environment to work with, ergo giving you much more options and room for dynamics when it comes to mixing and mastering a song. If you start arguing with me that there is no difference in clarity and noise when comparing 16-bit to 24-bit drivers, I will never communicate with you again.

You lose American asshole!

It's easy to be a dick when you have FACTS, it's much more of a challange when you have to randomly pluck things out of your ass and hope they're right, like me!

you'll always get an A for effort from me.

I'm not talking about line input noise, I mean the actual lack of headroom that a 16 bit soundcard fails at. You pretty much have to run your mix as close to clipping as possible beacuse mastering a song that peaks at -15dB with tracks bounced in a 16 bit environment will result in too much noise that'll have to get rolled off, most likely taking some of your song with them.

A 24 bit card gives you a much more noiseless environment to work with, ergo giving you much more options and room for dynamics when it comes to mixing and mastering a song. If you start arguing with me that there is no difference in clarity and noise when comparing 16-bit to 24-bit drivers, I will never communicate with you again.

you have the right ideas, my (half)point was that the drivers are largely irrelevant on the issue of dynamic range/noise.

if the driver does 24-bit recording but the soundcard only has 16-bit converters.. what are you going to get? that's right, a 24-bit recording where only the first 16 bits are used. it's the converters that matter.

cheers.